Guide to Holy Week and Passover

Events and services in honor of upcoming religious holidays

For all those who observe Passover, Holy Week or Easter Sunday, Lafayette College and various local churches near campus will be holding worship services today and this weekend.

The Hillel Society will be holding the traditional service, Seder, for Passover and serving a holiday meal. The student-led service will be located in Marlo Room and begin at 5:30 p.m., on Friday.

For Holy Week and Easter, Lafayette held Catholic Mass on Holy Thursday in Colton Chapel which started at 7:30 p.m. For Good Friday, there will be a liturgy held at 12:30 p.m. in Colton Chapel.

Father George Winne, Catholic campus minister and Rev. Alex Hendrickson, College Chaplain and Director of Religious and Spiritual Life, will be leading the Good Friday worship service.It will include readings of the Proclamation of the Passion, Veneration of the Cross and Reception of Eucharist. Easter Sunday will be celebrated at 5:30 p.m. with a Roman Catholic mass, also located in Colton Chapel.

Rev. Alex Hendrickson notes that all are welcomed as Colton Chapel will be able to accommodate “all those who want to attend the on-campus worship services.”

There are also many off campus events on College Hill for Holy Week.

“Many members of the Lafayette community will attend worship services at local churches […] that are within walking distance,” Rev Alex Hendrickson said. St. John’s Lutheran Church, located on 330 Ferry St., will be having Good Friday service at 7:00 p.m.

In addition to their Easter worship service at 10:30 a.m.,some local churches holding worship services on Easter Sunday at 10:00 a.m. are First United Church of Christ (27 N. 3rd St.) and Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church (54 South 4th St.). The College Hill Presbyterian Church (50 Brodhead St), First Presbyterian Church (333 Spring Garden St.), and Trinity Episcopal (232 Spring Garden St.) will begin their Easter Sunday services at 10:30 a.m.