Dance the night away

Dance Company’s Eighth Annual Spring Recital and STEP’s “Haters Step Back” promise a Friday full of dance

Members of the Lafayette Dance Company and Precision Step Team will be showcasing their talents tonight.

While at two separate venues, The Dance Company will begin their showcase at 8 p.m. in the Williams Center for the Arts.

This two hour show will include a variety of dances, such as modern, jazz, ballet, hip-hop and tap. All the dancers “have been practicing since practically the start of semester for the showcase,” company member Rebecca Wai‘18 said. The dances will be “to many different types of music, such as ‘Animals’ by Maroon 5 and ‘You Can’t Stop the Beat’ from Hairspray,”Alicia Rosenbaum ‘18, another company member, said.

The Precision Step team will be taking their competition to the streets, with their sixth annual competition, Haters Step Back. Bringing the underground authenticity of step to campus, the competition will take place on the Lower Level of the Markle Parking Deck.

“We prepare all semester long…when we are either invited to a completion or are hosting one like HSB we start about two weeks in advance,”team member Lila Silver ‘17 said.“Then for those two weeks we have practice every night for a few hours to ensure we are precise and synchronized.”

This competition will feature the best step teams in the region battling it out for the top prize.

So whether you wish to stay in from the rain, or venture to the streets, there are plenty of ways to jazz up one’s Friday night with dance performances from Lafayette Dance Company and Step team.

Dance Company’s 8th Annual Spring Recital will start at 8 p.m. at Williams Center for the Arts, tickets are free for students.

STEPs Haters Step Back will go from 8:30 p.m. – 1 a.m. at the Lower Level of the Markle Parking Deck, tickets are free for students.