Where to eat and why

A guide to the best places to dine during Family Weekend

Lafayette College’s Family Weekend provides an optimal occasion for students to reunite with their parents and siblings over a good meal. Here is a list of some of the best joints around Easton where students can enjoy dining with their family this weekend.

Cherubina Ristorante

I ate at Cherubina for the first time my freshman year during Family Weekend, and have been a fan of the restaurant since. Cherubina fare consists mostly of Italian dishes. It has a warm, homey atmosphere that provides a nice alternative to another local Italian restaurant, Sette Luna, where tables can be difficult to find as the restaurant does not accept reservations.

Cherubina is located at 1001 North Hampton Street. For more information call 610-258- 2336.
Recommended dishes: Clams Casino, Antipasto Platter, Spinach Gnocchi, Chocolate Crème Brûlée

Valenca Resturant

Valenca, which opened for business last year, remains relatively under the radar to students. I stumbled into a dining experience at Valenca by pure luck, and could not have been happier the food and service there. Their Mediterranean inspired and American Fusion dishes are fresh. Offering ample space for outdoor dining, Valenca provides a pleasing candle-lit ambience.

Valenca is located at 64 Center Square. For more information call 610-829- 0360.
Recommended Dishes: Fresh Mozzarella & Crab Caprese, Beef & Chorizo Empanadas, Valenca Pizza

3rd & Ferry Fish Market

The unique, industrial two-story layout of Third and Ferry Fish Market creates an unforgettable dining experience. Upon entering the market, guests can peek over a large glass countertop toward a flurry of chefs preparing the fresh catch of the day. As an avid fan of seafood, I was wild about the bounty of prepared fish options that the markets menu boasts. Picky eaters should not to worry, however. The restaurant also provides a variety of delicious steak and salad options.

Third & Ferry Fish Market is located at 56 S Third Street. For more information call 610-829-1404.
Recommended Dishes: Platter of Chilled Oysters from the Raw Bar, Diver Scallops & Bacon, Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Pico, Lobster Roll

Maxims 22 Bistro & Brasserie

Maxims 22 provides the ultimate destination for this weekend. The chic, warm atmosphere complements the experience of dining on authentic French cuisine perfectly. Following the European tradition, the meal experience at Maxims includes numerous courses that are cherished over the course of a couple hours.

Maxims 22 Bistro & Brasserie is located at 322 North Hampton Street. For more information call 610-252-2622.
Recommended Dishes: Marinated French Olives, Duck Confit, Lemon Curd Berry Tartlette