Easton gets spooky with Halloween-themed events

Various events will be taking place throughout Easton for Halloween, all which can be found through the Greater Easton Development Partnership. (Photo Courtesy of Easton Business Association Facebook)

By Bia Brait Amorosino, Staff Writer

Easton is getting into the Halloween spirit with a series of events organized by the Greater Easton Development Partnership (GEDP). These events will take place downtown throughout the month of October, and they will be open to students and the greater Easton community.

According to GEDP member Katie Farnan, the organization is “a volunteer, non-profit entity that collaborates to nurture Easton’s economic well-being and cultural vibrancy.” Their programs, which may be familiar to students already, include the Easton Main Street Initiative, Easton Farmers’ Market, Easton Public Market, Easton Ambassadors, West Ward Community Initiative and Easton Garden Works. GEDP also helps to organize events like the upcoming Bacon Fest, Live at the Falls, Easton Out Loud and more.

Although some Halloween events such as the West Ward Fall Fest and the Easton Pumpkin Party have already occurred, students can still look forward to other upcoming events over the next couple of weeks.

Easton Out Loud (Trick or Treat Edition) takes place from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. today. The Easton community will walk around downtown in costume, while select Easton businesses will be open late with themed activities, specials and live music. Kids can trick or treat at participating businesses. Those who have outgrown their costumes can pick up a passport in Center Square for the chance to win a prize. If the passport is stamped seven or more times at participating Easton shops, it can be entered into the quarterly raffle to win an Easton Out Loud prize gift basket.

Students can also attend the Easton-Phillipsburg Parade on Sunday, Oct. 24 beginning at 3 p.m. The parade will start in Phillipsburg and travel through South Main Street and over the Northampton Street Bridge before ending at North 3rd Street for a total of about two hours.

“This Halloween Parade has been happening for 39 years and is a huge tradition in both Easton and Phillipsburg Communities,” Liana Marte of the Chamber of Commerce, said. “Each year the leading band rotates, so this year it’s the Easton High School Band leading and next will be Phillipsburg. Thousands of people throughout the community gather around South Main Street and Northampton Street to welcome all the floats and band members. This event is the yearly kick-off of the rivalry games and events between Easton and Phillipsburg that will continue into November.”

Marte said the parade is extra special to her, as she has marched in it since middle school and is now taking part in planning it.

This tradition is fun for all ages! Come down in your favorite costume, and after you gather around to watch the floats proceed down Northampton Street, you can go grab a bite to eat or coffee from one of our local shops and enjoy the beauty of Downtown Easton,” Marte said. 

On Saturday, Oct. 30, students can head over to Scott Park between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. for the Easton Farmers’ Market’s Pumpkins and Pooches. People can participate in various pumpkin crafts such as pumpkin carving and children can trick or treat at vendors’ tents. At 11:30 a.m. there will be a costume parade for dogs and their owners. Prizes will be awarded for the best dog-owner duo. Guests will also be able to enjoy live music featuring Neil Grover.

Students can also attend Easton Scarecrows, a walking tour of scarecrows in the Downtown, West Ward, Southside and College Hill business communities. There are 31 scarecrows located around the neighborhoods to be spotted. If students share a photo to Instagram using #EastonScarecrows, they will be entered to win a $25 gift card to a local business every week. The walking tour is available every day throughout the month of October.

More information about events can be found on the GEDP website at eastonpartnership.org.

“We encourage Lafayette students to join us! Easton is a fun and vibrant city with so much to offer and explore. We love seeing Lafayette students enjoying the downtown shops, dining options, events and other activities,” Farnan said.