Ready to kick off: Football’s starting quarterback named

The one word to describe Head Coach John Garrett’s anticipation of the fall season is excited.

When asked at Tuesday’s press conference, Garrett had no hesitation before naming freshman Sean O’Malley the starting quarterback.

“From day one Sean has come in here and grabbed the bull by the horns and really made it very clear that he wanted the job,” Garrett said. “He prepares every day. He plays with urgency. He’s just a natural leader. He’s really competitive. He learned the offense really quickly.”

O’Malley was the fourth quarterback added to Garrett’s first recruiting class, but Garrett has no doubt about his decision.

“Sean made it pretty clear by his play that he earned the job,” Garrett said. “He’s performed consistently well all the time in all the situations and he’s prepared every day and we’re really excited about him and he really earned respect from this team, from his teammates, and I’m really impressed and excited for him. He’s gonna be a great, great member and [I have] great confidence that he’s gonna play well.”

Garrett’s praise for his players didn’t stop at his freshman starter.

“I’m actually just unbelievably impressed with all our players, but particularly the freshmen quarterbacks that come in here to be able to run the offense,” Garrett said. “Sometimes it’s hard to even call a play, and that’s even at the pro level…but these guys have it down quickly. I told them that from week one: you guys are unbelievable!”

“It’s really a credit to the smart student athletes that are able to come to Lafayette College,” he added.

With 19 freshmen on the roster and plenty of practice under their belts, the Leopards are ready to start the season.

“I think they’re at the point now where they want to go hit and tackle someone else,” Garrett said.

The first game for the Leopards is at Monmouth on September 2nd.