Playa Bowls franchise comes to Easton

(Photo by Adrianna Barazotti ’21)

The New Jersey-born restaurant Playa Bowls opens at its second Lehigh Valley location at 16th North 3rd Street in Easton today. Currently, the franchise has several locations in New Jersey and New York City and has plans to open in cities in Florida, Delaware and North Carolina.

Playa Bowls, which features both a beach-inspired indoor scenery and menu selection, offers menu items ranging from acai bowls, pitaya bowls and banana bowls to chia pudding bowls, green bowls and coconut bowls. The menu also offers fresh juices and smoothies.

“We’re a little bit different than some of the other restaurants that are here. We’re not so much of a sit-down restaurant as much as some of the other places are. There’s really nowhere else around here like us, I think it will compliment downtown if nothing else,” said Jim Dale, owner of Playa Bowls in Bethlehem.

Dale said that the recent September opening of the Bethlehem location was “very successful.” According to Lehigh Valley Live, when the Bethlehem location opened, the line was already out the door at 10:30 a.m.

“We live out here, and we just felt that the Lehigh Valley was looking for something like this,” Dale said. “We thought it would be a good fit.”

With the Bethlehem location so close to  Lehigh University, Dale mentioned that he has a lot of students and locals alike coming into the restaurant.

The grab-and-go nature of Playa Bowls will allow students to head downtown for a quick bite. And while the menu may offer a range of menu items, prices are relatively constant between $8 and $11.

According to Dale, while there will not be any general discounts for students, he said he encourages students to follow the restaurant on its social media accounts in order to know when he is offering occasional discounts.

Students of the college look forward to the opening of the restaurant this week.

“I’m so excited for Playa Bowls to come to Easton because now it’ll be easier to convince people to go with me,” Haley Matthes ’19 said. “It’ll be great to have another option for students to eat down the hill.”