Sports Recap Central

Men’s Basketball (10-21) (7-11)

March 1

L, 76-54 @ Colgate

The Lafayette men’s basketball team ended their season in a disappointing loss to Colgate in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals.  The Leopards started the game off strong but the offense couldn’t perform consistently, resulting in a Leopards defeat. 

Women’s Basketball (11-19) (6-12)

March 3

W, 66-61 vs Boston U.

For the second year in a row, the Lafayette women’s basketball team won their first game in the Patriot League Tournament when they defeated Boston in Kirby Sports Center.  Even though Lafayette’s offense struggled in the fourth quarter, they were able to regain control quickly and ended up with a win. 

March 5

L, 55-35 @ American

The Lafayette women’s basketball team’s season came to a close in Washington, D.C., with a loss to American University.  The Leopards fell in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Tournament despite their strong defense. 

Men’s Lacrosse (2-4) (0-2)

March 3

L, 13-4 vs Army

Despite junior goalie Jonathan Anastos’s 13 saves against Army West Point, the men’s lacrosse team suffered their fourth loss of the season. 

Women’s Lacrosse (2-3) (0-0)

March 4

W, 11-9 vs ECU

The Lafayette women’s lacrosse team got their second win in a row this week in an eventful game against East Carolina.  The Leopard’s offense had a stellar performance and was leading by up to four points at three different points in the game. 

Men’s Tennis (2-5) (0-0)

March 3

L, 4-3 vs Sienna

The Leopards doubles pairings of sophomore Blake Oslan and senior Mason Keel and sophomore Drew Rooks and senior Chris Kim both won their matches. This proved to not be enough for a Lafayette win as Keel was defeated in his singles match, giving four points to Sienna and resulting in a loss for the Lafayette men. 

March 4

L, 5-2 vs Delaware

The Lafayette men’s tennis team finished off its back-to-back weekend with a loss to Delaware. Oslan and Keel once again picked up points for the Leopards, this time in their singles matches, but Delaware still managed to defeat the Lafayette team.

Women’s Tennis (5-3) (0-1)

March 3

L, 5-2 vs Sienna

The Lafayette women’s tennis team also lost to Sienna. Freshman Sam Snyder and sophomore Grace Conrad both won their singles matches, securing points for Lafayette. Unfortunately, those were the only ones, allowing Sienna to defeat the Leopards. 

Baseball (6-6) (0-0)

March 4

L, 12-4 @ Maryland Eastern Shore

UMES was able to keep Lafayette on their toes during their first game on of the day with seemingly continuous runs.  Lafayette was able to grab two runs back in the fifth inning and another in the sixth, but this was not enough for a Leopard win. 

W, 6-2 @ Maryland Eastern Shore

In game two however, the Leopards successfully used their pitching to shut down the UMES offense and defeat them. Sophomore infielder John Marti had an impressive two games at plate going three for seven with two runs and two RBIs in both games. 

March 6

W, 10-2 @ Fairleigh Dickinson

The Leopards improved their season record to 6-6 after defeating FDU on the road.  The Leopards got a slow start and were down by two, but the game picked up in the fourth inning and Lafayette was able to successfully keep FDU off the scoreboard for the rest of the game. 

Softball (1-12)

March 3

L, 9-1 vs St. Bonaventure

The Leopards took on St. Bonaventure in the first game of the Coppin State Eagle Classic. The game was a scoreless tie until St. Bonaventure sent 14 batters to plate in the third inning and secured a lead that they maintained for the rest of the game. 

L, 5-0 vs Morgan State

Lafayette suffered another loss in their second game of the day at the Coppin State Eagle Classic. The game started with the hosts, Morgan State, scoring three runs and maintaining this lead over the Leopards’ four hit offense.   

March 4

L, 11-3 vs Hartford

Hartford defeated the Leopards in the final round of the Coppin State Eagle Classic. They were able to deliver 16 hits against the Leopards, who started off strong but couldn’t perform consistently throughout the game. 

Men’s Track and Field

March 3

@ IC4A Championship

Senior David McGriff finished 10th in the weight throw, recording 17.27m in the finals.

Women’s Track and Field

March 3

@ ECAC Championship

In preliminaries, the 4×800 team of junior Amy Hewlett, senior Alexa Kwapinski, sophomore Crosby Spiess and junior Caroline Harmon broke the school record by seven seconds, earning fifth place. Swapping Caroline Harmon for her sister Elizabeth, they earned eighth place in the finals with the second fastest time in Lafayette history.

Fencing

March 4

@ MACFA Championships

Lafayette hosted the MACFA Championships, where they competed against 14 other teams. Lafayette’s saber squad finished fourth, while the foil squad finished sixth overall.