Everything Wrong With US Media Coverage

The Scoffayette

Everything Wrong With US Media Coverage

The Scoffayette

Everything Wrong With US Media Coverage

The Scoffayette

Sports Recap Central

Men’s soccer (4-2-1) (0-0)

Sept. 12 vs. La Salle

W, 2-0

Lafayette got its first home victory over La Salle with a score of 2-0.  The team got out to a quick start when freshmen midfielder Sebastian Varela netted his first goal of his career, in the fourth minute. The team’s second goal came in the 48th minute from junior forward Dylan Royalty on junior midfielder Ryan Goncalves’ corner kick. The highlight of the game was Lafayette’s defense, which only allowed one shot.

Sept. 16 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson

T, 1-1

The equalizer goal that earned the Leopards a tie was scored by junior midfielder Chris Gomez in the 31st minute. Freshman goalkeeper Alex Sutton made six saves to match his career high.

Field hockey (1-5) (1-0)

Sept. 14 vs. Lehigh

W, 3-2 (OT)

The Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry lived up to expectations in this match, as freshman forward Molly McAndrew buried the game winner 20 seconds into overtime to give Lafayette the 3-2 win. The game was a back and forth battle that saw Lafayette take an early lead with a goal by sophomore forward Grace Angelella, but Lehigh battled back in the second half to gain a 2-1 lead with under 20 minutes to go in regulation. A goal in the 52nd minute from co-captain defender Lisa van der Geest gave Lafayette the boost it needed to tie, and eventually win, the game.

Sept. 16 vs. Albany

L, 4-0

Albany scored early in the game to take the lead and kept pouring it on to shut out the Leopards. Junior goalkeeper Sarah Park made seven saves in the loss.

Women’s volleyball (5-7)

Sept. 14 vs. Delaware State

W, 3-1

The team received contributions from all over the roster, as freshman outside hitter Grace Tulevech led the team with a career high 21 kills, and junior middle blocker Adriana Heimbauer set a career high with 12 kills. Freshman outside hitter Leanna Deegan also had a big game with 11 kills, while sophomore setter Jenna Bailey contributed 30 assists and a career-high 17 digs. Sophomore libero Audrey Mangum also contributed a career-high 15 digs.

Sept. 15 vs. Hartford, Fairleigh Dickinson

W, 3-1; W, 3-0

In the first game, Tulevech had 21 kills and 11 digs with two blocks. Leanna Deegan also posted a career-high 13 kills. Tulevech led the team again in the second game with 18 kills. Senior outside hitter Sonia Musso added 10 kills.

For their excellent play in the tournament, Tulevech was rewarded with the Invitational’s MVP while Bailey and freshman middle blocker Kelly Austin were named to the all-tournament team.

Cross country

Sept. 15 vs. Lehigh

The Lafayette women runners performed well, led by Senior Caroline Harmon who finished fourth overall in the field of 29 runners with a time of 23:18.33. Not far behind her was fellow senior Emily Moore finishing eighth overall with a time of 23:44.70.

For the men’s team, freshman Tim Larsen led the Leopards with a time of 27:07.99 and finishing 13th out of 29. Right behind Larsen was sophomore Thomas Anthony finishing 14th with a time of 27:08.72.

Women’s soccer (4-4-0, 1-0-0)

Sept. 15 vs. Bucknell

W, 2-0

The Leopards have been caught in a scoring drought as of late but broke out in the 30th minute when junior midfielder Alli Munro scored on a pass from freshman midfielder Sophia Hudson. The Leopards defense was strong and was able to successfully defend 16 shots from Bucknell as well as defending nine corner kicks. Sophomore goalkeeper Maggie Pohl kept the Leopards in the game while making four saves and earning her third shutout of the season. The Leopards added a cushion goal in the 87th minute from freshman Katie Butler, marking her first career goal.

Football (0-3) (0-0)

Sept. 15 vs. Monmouth

L, 24-20

Although Lafayette got off to a quick start against Monmouth, they were held scoreless in the second half and ended up losing 24-20 in their home opener. The Leopards held a lead for 40 minutes, but began trailing at the end of the third quarter. Quarterback Sean O’Malley went 20-of–37 for 221 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. Junior wide receiver Nick Pearson had a big game catching five balls for 106 yards.

Women’s tennis

Sept. 19 @ Rider

W, 8-1

Sophomore Cece Lesnick dropped only one game, anchoring the singles matches. Sophomore Samantha Snyder, freshman Maureen McCormack, junior Meredith Block, and sophomore Ruthie Wilson all won singles matches, as Lafayette didn’t drop a doubles match either in the dominant win.

Men’s tennis

Sept. 14 – 16 @ Villanova Invitational

Junior Paul Caruso and freshman Ross Coleman won their singles and doubles matches. Sophomore John Yurconic and freshman Will Barry also won singles matches.