Sports Recap Central: 4/25/14

Baseball: (11-22, 4-10)

Photo by Sarah Fryfield ‘16

Sophomore Mitch Leeds delivers a pitch last weekend.

Saturday: L 4-0 (7) vs. Bucknell

Bucknell starter Bryson Hough led the way for the away team tossing seven scoreless innings, giving up three hits and fanning one.

Saturday: L 4-1 vs. Bucknell

After the second inning, Lafayette was held to 2 hits of the bats of senior Andrew Santomauro, and freshman Alex Woinski. Bucknell starting pitcher Dan Weigel threw a complete game one run, six hit game.

Sunday: L 5-4 (7) vs. Bucknell

Bucknell was able to hold their lead late after being up 5-1. A last licks rally by Lafayette was thwarted with the bases loaded by two straight outs to end the ballgame. Sophomore Jackson Kramer went 1-3 with two RBIs.

Sunday: W 7-3 vs. Bucknell

Freshman Trevor Houck got the win for Lafayette, throwing six and two thirds innings, giving up two runs on to hits, and striking out five.

Wednesday: L 9-2 vs. Monmouth

Wednesday: L 9-2 vs. Monmouth

Softball: (10-29, 4-11)

Photo by Hana Isihara ‘17

Lafayette softball beat Towson 9-6 on April 2.

Saturday: L 9-0 (5) at Army

Army’s shortstop, April Ortenzo, went 3-3 with a homer run, two RBIs and two runs. Lafayette was held to six base runners.

Saturday: W 8-2 at Army

A six run fourth inning for Lafayette was the largest scoring spree of the season. Sophomore Bryn Gornick, senior Amy Gebhardt, and freshman Jenna Orlando combine for 6-9 with four runs, and four RBIs.

Sunday: L 3-1 vs. Army

Freshman Lindsey Cherry held Army to one earned run in eight base runners on the mound in six innings.

Tuesday: W 6-2 at Rider

In the fifth inning, Lafayette scored five runs with 10 baserunners on three hits and two errors.

Tuesday: W 5-4 at Rider

Heading into the fifth inning Lafayette trailed 3-0, but sophomore Bryn Gornick hit her first career home run with the bases loaded to spark a five run inning.

Wednesday: W 5-2 (7) at Villanova

Senior Melissa Robinson threw a complete game, two run, five-strikeout game. Sophomore Allison Brown put Lafayette on the board in the 6th scoring two with a double to right center.

Wednesday: W 8-4 at Villanova

Junior Kelly Lallis went 4-5 with a triple, two runs, and an RBI. Freshman Jenna Orlando, who went 2-4 in the game, knocked in two on a triple in the fifth.

Men’s Lacrosse: (2-11, 1-7)

Friday: L 17-6 vs. Lehigh

On senior day, freshman Jason Sands led Lafayette scoring with two goals on six attempts. Senior Jake Hyatt ends his regular season ranked 36th in Division I in saves per game with 10.

Women’s Lacrosse:(7-10, 2-6)

Saturday: W 19-13 vs. Iona

Senior Laura Kleiber added six goals to her regular season tally of 48 goals and seven assists. Kleiber ranks 27th in Division I in goals per game with 2.82.

Track & Field

Larry Ellis Invitational

Sophomore Stephanie Benko broke the Lafayette record in 3000-meter steeplechase by 10 seconds with a time of 10:40.71. This time is the best finish in the Patriot League this season for the event. Senior Elise Buffinton matched her personal best with a leap of 12’ 5.5”, while classmate Rachel Pena finished second in the shot put. The men’s team was backed by personal bests of sophomore Thomas Day in the 3000-meter steeplechase, and senior Neil Franzese in the 400 meter hurdles.

Thursday: Penn Relays

Golf

Thursday-Saturday: Naval Academy Spring Invitational

Lafayette finished in 15th place out of 17. The team scored 53 over, while the winner, Towson University, scored 16 over.

Men’s Tennis: (4-10, 1-7)

Monday: L 6-1 vs. Lehigh

Sophomore Brian Stefanowicz was the lone winner in singles for Lafayette winning 7-5, 6-1.

Women’s Tennis: (6-8, 1-6)

Friday: L 4-0 vs. Boston University (#1)

Lafayette finished there season losing in straight sets to number one seeded Boston University.

Club Sports

Baseball (7-4)

Has a chance this weekend to win the District I South Title with three games against Monclair St. on 4/24, and a doubleheader on 4/26.

Club Frisbee

This weekend the team plays in the Division III regionals at Lehigh University. If the team ranks in the top three they will make it to nationals in Columbus, OH.

Women’s Rugby (2-0)

4/18 W 28-26 at Millersville University

After Lafayette held the lead for most of the game, Millersville nearly made a full comeback in the last few minutes of the second half.

Men’s Crew

In their most recent regatta the light men got first, as well as the freshman going to the semifinals.

Women’s Crew

In their last regatta, the light women won first, while open women came in second.