Weekend of family fun: Guide to Family Weekend

Family weekend is upon us and we have provided all you need to know to make the most of the time you have with your loved ones.

As excited as all students are to rejoin their friends on campus each August, by the end of September, a visit from home is more than welcomed treat. This weekend, many proud Lafayette families will be visiting campus, to live vicariously through their children, and learn about the daily life of their Lafayette student.

The Family Weekend Committee is made up of nine students, who are led by faculty advisors Donna Krivoski, Director of Parent Relations and Janice Pigga, Assistant Director of Student Involvement. “Working with the students on the Family Weekend Committee is a highlight of my job at Lafayette,” Krivoski said. “I enjoy their energy and creativity.”

Above everything else, families care about the academics offered at their child’s school. In order to gain firsthand experience, parents can sit in on classes throughout the day on Friday. In addition, tours of campus, Skillman Library, and Kirby Sports Center will be given. In the evening, some of Lafayette’s favorite performers— including the Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Precision Step Team, and the school’s a cappella groups— will put on a concert. No pre-registration is required for these specific activities, but they are all expected to fill up quickly.

Families can start their day off on Saturday with a Family Fun Walk/Run for Community Outreach or with Morning Yoga. All donations from the walk/run will benefit the Landis Community Outreach Programs. In addition, all participants will be entered into a drawing for prizes.

Saturday also provides countless opportunities for families to gain full exposure to not only Lafayette, but Easton, too. The Easton Farmers’ Market, the longest-running open-air farmers’ market in the country, is a great opportunity to demonstrate the strong connection between Lafayette and the town of Easton. Later in the afternoon, there will be a Historic Easton Tour and Downtown Easton Gallery Tour, depicting the value of art and cultural history in Easton. While downtown, families can also take a tour of the Weyerbacher Brewery. Although most tours are sold out, families can still try to get tickets once they arrive on campus.

Saturday is filled with many talks and panels to provide insight on Career Services, Studying Abroad, Residence Life, and specific departments. After a busy morning and afternoon, families can attend a tailgate and dinner before the football game vs. Wagner. Last year’s November family weekend brought blizzard weather, so families are sure to appreciate enjoying the game in the 80 degree sun this year. “Typically, the most highly attended events are the Friday student performance and the Tailgate,” Krivoski said. “With the fantastic weather report for this weekend, the Tailgate will be on the Quad. Families will be entertained by WJRH, the PepBand and the Leopard.”

Students and their families may be exhausted after Friday and Saturday’s jam-packed events, but there are still many activities on Sunday to close out the weekend. Once again, families are encouraged to venture downtown, first for the Crayola Experience at the Crayola Factory. There will then be a Chateau Chavaniac Tour of Lafayette’s Historic Guest House. Families are also invited to explore the Sigal Museum. Tickets are available to purchase for both events.

While Lafayette’s Dining Services will be offering meals throughout the weekend, families should not fail to venture downtown and try at least one of the many restaurants Easton has to offer. Students can introduce their families to some of their favorites, like Sette Luna or Mesa Modern Mexican. Because of the popularity of these local favorites, almost all restaurants are completely booked. However, a booklet of the menus will be available at the Family Weekend Registration Desk for the lucky few who can squeeze in a last minute reservation. For those families who are still in search of hotel reservations, the Hampton Inn in Easton has some remaining availability.

In the past, approximately 1200-1600 people registered for Family weekend. When registration closed last Friday, over 2300 people were registered. The excitement from families, along with the highly anticipated events planned both on and off campus, is sure to make for a memorable weekend.