Sports Recap Central

Football (1-2)

Sept. 17 @ Princeton

L, 35-31

Despite 356 passing yards and three touchdowns by senior QB Drew Reed, including two touchdown receptions from junior WR Matt Mrazek, the Leopards fell to Princeton’s strong rushing attack as they were out-gained 217-88 in rushing yardage. Next is a home meeting with Villanova, who is undefeated in FCS play.

Men’s Soccer (3-4)

Sept. 17 @ Yale

W, 2-0

Lafayette kept Yale off the scoreboard in their first shutout of the season. Freshman Evan Vare and senior Ryan Egan both scored in the first half, and that was all the Leopards needed as they coasted to victory.

Sept. 20 vs. LaSalle

W, 2-1

Down by a goal after the first half, the Leopards rallied in the second half to extend their winning streak to three games after starting the season 0-4. Vare scored for the second game in a row and freshman Adam Bramson also tacked on a goal in the comeback win.

Women’s Soccer (3-2-3)

Sept. 17 vs. Loyola Maryland

T, 1-1 (2OT)

Sophomore Alex Stanford scored the only goal for the Leopards on the day, as they notched their third tie of the season.

Women’s Volleyball (2-8)

Sept. 16 vs. NJIT

L, 3-1

After dropping the first two sets, Lafayette made things interesting by picking up the win in the third set before ultimately succumbing in the final set, 25-20.

Sept. 17 vs. Manhattan

L, 3-1

After picking up the win in the first set, the Leopards struggled to keep their momentum as they dropped the next three sets in a row. Junior Lizzy Walsh led the team with 16 kills in the match.

Sept. 17 vs. St. Francis Brooklyn

L, 3-1

In their second game of the day, the Leopards once again won the first set while dropping the next three. Senior Jet Manzi led the team with 12 kills in the match.

Field Hockey (5-2)

Sept. 16 vs. Towson

W, 2-0

Lafayette got off to a strong start with an early first half goal from freshman Rosa Jonckheer and had one more insurance goal in the second half by senior Amanda Magadan. It was the Leopards’ first shutout of the season.

Sept. 19 @ Hofstra

L, 4-1

Going into the half tied at 1-1, it seemed as though Lafayette was in a decent position to win, but three unanswered goals in the second half by Hofstra led to the Leopards’ second defeat of the year. Amanda Magadan scored in her second consecutive game.

Golf

Sept. 19 @ Navy Fall Invitational

Lafayette finished tied for seventh in a 16 team field, ending the invitational as an 11 over par team. Freshman Reid Bedell, who won co-champion honors, finished three-under par in the outing.

Weekly Awards

Rosa Jonckheer ’20 (Field Hockey), Patriot League Rookie of the Week