Club sports preview

Junior Lily Kubany poses with other women’s club soccer players for a picture after a scrimmage in April. (Photo courtesy of @lafwomensclubsoccer on Instagram)

Club sports give hundreds of Lafayette athletes who are committed to and passionate about their sport an avenue to continue playing outside of the Division I space.

Last year, many of Lafayette’s club teams found success: women’s lacrosse made their league playoffs, the dance team made school history by competing in the UDA College Nationals for the first time, the crew team placed consistently at the many prestigious regattas they attended, ski and board team made nationals and more.

These club teams and many more will be featured at the involvement fair on Sept. 6. Here is what you should be looking for with some of this year’s club teams.

Women’s lacrosse

Last year, women’s lacrosse joined a new league and expanded its roster.

“It was super fun and rewarding to see how much the team had grown,” junior Ella Dalgliesh said.

The team will start their normal practice schedule in the spring semester, but will have intermittent fall practices to start preparing, including a tentative game with Lehigh on Oct. 22.

Women’s soccer

Women’s soccer also had a strong year returning to their practice schedule following time off due to COVID-19.

“This year we got a new coach so we are excited to have more structure and more access to competition with other teams from other schools,” junior Lily Kubany said.

The team will make their first appearance on Sept. 9 versus TCNJ at 3 p.m. on Fisher Field.

Dance

The dance team is making some big changes coming off of a successful debut at UDA College Nationals last winter.

“We have all new sideline, halftime and timeout routines to bring out to the football and basketball games,” junior Captain Anna Van Ormer said. “We also have a coach, Melissa Diehl, who was here for half the season last year so we are excited to have her all year to help us learn and grow.”

The team’s new choreography will debut at Lafayette’s first home football game on Sept. 16.

Crew

After late-season wins at Dad Vails and ACRAS last year that added to their successful track record over the season, the team is excited for another year on the water.

“We are looking forward to building up our team and focusing on skill development for the upcoming season,” junior Aaron Sigmond-Warner said. “We are excited to have new members join at the club fair and continue to improve the team.”

The team will make their season debut at the Navy Day Regatta on Oct. 15.

Ski and board

A highlight for the ski and board team last year was its trip to Mammoth, California to compete in nationals. Strong performances throughout the season and at regionals led the team to the national stage. According to junior team secretary Lindsay Correll, the team will be implementing weekday practice options this year, which is an increase from the past few years. The team’s first competition will be in January, followed by the annual Jay Peak trip, which is always highly anticipated by team members.

Ultimate Frisbee
Often seen practicing on the Quad when the weather is nice, the Ultimate Frisbee team is also ready for a new year and new members.

“The team is looking forward to getting back together whether it be practicing on the field or tossing a Frisbee on the Quad,” sophomore Bryan Osipower said.

Some highlights from last year include a spring break tournament in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and the annual alumni game.