Leopard sightings across the globe

Fall study abroad update
Students are getting to know the culture of European and Oceanian countries this semester. (Photos courtesy of Brenna Girard ’25, Ellie Walsh ’25 and Tess Boyler ’25)

Not all students take the traditional trajectory of studying abroad during the spring semester. From Australia to Spain to Germany, these three students have had unique experiences in a new country to start the school year.

Brenna Girard ‘25: Brisbane, Australia 

The only way Brenna Girard ‘25 wanted to go to Australia is if she studied abroad there. Now, studying at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, she is finally getting her chance to make an extended visit. 

“Australia is so far that to be able to go any other time in your life, it would be such an effort,” Girard said. “[Studying abroad] was the best way to maximize the time here.”

Girard has seen a considerable amount of personal growth through her time living ten thousand miles away from home. 

“I definitely became a more confident person and had to be more sure of myself and the things I did,” Girard said.

In Brisbane, Girard is living in a dorm-style living community called International House where she has established relationships with people she would have otherwise never met.

“International House has given me the most amazing community,” Girard said. “My best friends are from Germany and Belgium and Spain. When else would I ever get to meet these people and form these connections?”

The vibrant community Girard has found is coupled with the precious wildlife of the country. On a boat excursion with friends, she had a once-in-a-lifetime experience witnessing Australia’s natural beauty.

“There were whales just breaching all along the horizon, it was crazy,” Girard said. “The water was crystal blue. It was unreal, unlike anything I’ve ever seen.”

Though her experience has been unlike any other, Girard finds comfort in the fact that she will soon return home to Lafayette in the spring.

“I at least get to go back knowing I have this amazing community,” Girard said.

Ellie Walsh ‘25: Barcelona, Spain 

Campus life these days looks a little different for Ellie Walsh ‘25. Instead of walking down Lafayette’s brick paths, she takes the Barcelona metro to class.

“It’s crazy how different it is from being on Lafayette’s walkable campus,” Walsh said. 

Walsh, who is spending the fall in Barcelona, has become well acquainted with city life in Spain and how it contrasts to her own upbringing.

“It’s just been cool to be living in a city,” Walsh said. “I grew up in a super small town in New Jersey.”

Out of all the sights of Spain, it is the grocery market culture that Walsh cites as her favorite part of the city. She often spends her time strolling around different markets and buying fresh produce. Coupled with her class exploring the cuisine of Barcelona, Walsh has a lot of ground to explore with cooking.

Though Walsh has done her fair share of traveling to other countries on the weekends – from the United Kingdom to Germany to Slovenia – her main goal is to get to know the city of Barcelona on a different level. 

“I’ve been trying to stay in the city because a lot of people I’ve talked to that went abroad before mentioned that they wish they’d spent more time in the city that they were living in and really got to know it,” Walsh said. 

Tess Boyler ‘25: Freiburg, Germany 

In the heart of the forest, you can find Tess Boyler ‘25. 

Boyler is currently participating in an environmental science and sustainability program through IES Abroad in Freiburg, Germany. She takes courses surrounding the German language, climate and vegetation and explores the sustainability practices of Freiburg. 

The curriculum is an immersive experience – Boyler will learn about a cooperative farm in Freiberg and then go visit it with her class. 

“Through the class we’ve been going to all these different areas, like literally seeing what we’re learning, which is really cool,” Boyler said.

Fitting in with the theme of her program, Boyler has come to understand how much Freiburg residents adore the nature surrounding them. Freiburg is the capital city of the Black Forest, a large mountain range in southwestern Germany. 

“How people love the outdoors here is crazy,” Boyler said. “Everybody is going on a hike on the weekends or even in the afternoon.”

Boyler herself has been able to connect with German people over her shared love of nature and has been met with kindness. 

“Everybody is very appreciative of the little German I do speak,” Boyler said.