Track and field offers middling performance at Bison Opener despite personal bests

Several Leopards earned top-10 all-time performances at the Bison Opener. (Photo courtesy of GoLeopards)

The track and field team began its indoor season with several personal bests at Bucknell Univesity’s Bison Opener last Saturday despite not winning any events.

Junior Nava Chevan led the women’s finishes, securing an all-time top-10 with a second-place finish of 1:17.21 in the 500-meter run. Sophomore Alexa LaSasso raced just behind her, logging 1:19.61 for the third-place finish.

Freshman Ida Moczerniuk also set a Lafayette all-time top-10 for the women’s squad, finishing the 60-meter dash in 7.93 for 12th place.

Freshman John Liedtka secured the team’s third all-time top-10 finish, as his 8.45 in the 60-meter hurdles landed him in sixth place.

Sophomore Maeve Waldron secured a second-place finish in the 400-meter, recording a time of 59.21. Freshman Gabby Buber and sophomore Elena Malone finished secured sixth place in the 200-meter (26.18) and the 800-meter (2:25.24) respectively.

Junior Julia Greeley snuck into the top five in the pole vault, with a jump of 11’9.75”.

“I left the meet feeling optimistic that big bars are on the horizon,” Greeley said.

The women’s 4×400 relay groups had a strong showing as well with group “A,” composed of Chevan, LaSasso, sophomore Katherine Pappas and junior Sara Tippin, coming in at 4:10.51 for a 5th place finish and group “B” (Waldron, Malone, freshman Madeline Convy and Buber) finishing hot on their tails with a time of 4:11.76 to come in sixth place.

Finishes on the men’s side were similar. Junior Jack Lynett snagged a fourth-place finish in the pole vault, as he reached 14’1.25”. Sophomore Zach Barban also logged a fourthplace finish with a time of 1:09.62 in the 500-meter. Sophomore John Paul Pfisterer came in fourth place as well, recording a time of 1:59.25 in the 800 meter. 

Greeley complimented both Pfisterer and Moczerniuk, explaining that “these two appeared unfazed. I’m beyond impressed by them and I’m excited to see what they’re able to do when we compete again.”

The men’s 4×400 relay (sophomore Roman Conca, junior Ryan Moore, freshman Dexter DeMarco and Pfisterer) just missed a top-five finish, coming in sixth with a time of 3:30.73.

Despite missing a top-five overall finish, the success of many freshmen is promising for the program.

“Overall [there were] some very good opening meet performances,” head coach Michele Curcio said. “We had several first-years who excelled.”

Greeley echoed this sentiment.

“We’ve seen a ton of impressive performances from our first-years, and it’s been really exciting to see them make a dent in the competition so early in their collegiate careers,” Greeley said.

The team will return to action at the Spartan Invite in New York on Jan. 12.