College receives grant for Pard Pantry

Photo by Naomi Shertzer for The Lafayette
Pard Pantry is located in the basement of Farinon College Center and can be used by all students.

The college received a $7,000 grant from Swipe Out Hunger for the Pard Pantry, a free student resource that provides non-perishable food items and hygiene products for those residing on campus during school breaks.

Lafayette was one of 102 colleges awarded the grant in December from the national non-profit organization that aims to end college student food insecurity.

Mary Wilford-Hunt and Maurice Luker, the college’s directors of corporate, foundation and government relations, along with former dean of students Brian Samble, worked to obtain this grant by facilitating corporate partnerships. According to Luker, Wilford-Hunt has been spearheading funding that supports community well-being and an equitable experience for all students.

“During the pandemic, [the Pard Pantry] became an indispensable resource for students who could not return home,” Wilford-Hunt wrote in an email. “Now, with additional philanthropic support from corporate partners like Giant Foods and non-profits like Swipe Out Hunger, we can step up our efforts to work to end student food insecurity.”

The Pard Pantry was founded by students in 2019 to provide an array of necessities during periods when dining services does not offer meal plans. Student Government, Office of Religious and Spiritual Life and others have collaborated to provide this essential resource for our campus community over the years, according to Wilford-Hunt.

Mariama Bah ’24, former student government inclusivity officer, and Sidath Chandrasena ’25 tended to the Pard Pantry during the fall semester as well as over winter break. As the Pantry is a Student Government project within the equity and inclusion committee, members have acted as the backbone of the initiative since its early stages.

“We had a few issues with funding last summer and we struggled to open the Pantry,” Bah said. “This fund would ensure that we do not run into those issues.”

Although there have been difficulties in the past with the Pantry’s continuous accessibility, the grant provides an opportunity to supplement the existing supply of products available to students. According to Swipe Out Hunger’s website, the grant was designed to expand food offerings to accommodate students’ dietary and cultural needs, provide funding for student volunteers and staff and acquire cold storage for perishable and fresh items, among other purposes.

The Pard Pantry accepts both physical and monetary donations. The resource is available in the basement of Farinon and is open weekly on Saturday from 4-5 p.m. for any and all students to stop by. 

“[The Pard Pantry] is free, accessible and anyone is welcome,” Bah said.