Print shop moves to post office

Photo by Austin Carey for The Lafayette
Printing and Copy Services was previously located in Marquis Hall.

Printing and Copy Services moved locations to the basement of Farinon College Center at the beginning of the semester. More commonly known as the print shop, it previously operated in the basement of Marquis Hall and now shares space with the post office.

“We’re really excited about the merging locations,” said Geoff Labe, assistant vice president of finance and administration for business services. “The print center and the post office are actually one department, a lot of people don’t realize that.”

Labe added that “merging the physical locations will have operational and staff efficiencies.”

Dave Huber, manager of Printing and Postal Services, added in an email that “this move enables the print center to be more visible and accessible to the campus community.”

The print shop now occupies a smaller area, given that it shares space with the postal office. The location uses multiple large machines, including industrial-sized printers to meet the printing demands of the campus.

Some of these machines are currently located in the post office itself and some are located in the print shop store room, also in the basement of Farinon. 

“We are able to offer identical services in our new space and maintain the same equipment,” Huber wrote. 

Multiple printing and post office staff members declined to comment on the transition to the new space. 

The status of the former print shop in Marquis Hall is currently unknown, according to Labe.

“I don’t know if the print center even has all of their stuff out of there yet,” Labe said. “We’re really excited about what the future holds.”

“My hopes are to continue building mail and print services to best serve the needs of students, faculty and staff,” Huber wrote. “Having both services in one location provides efficiencies and has set us on a path to improve our services now and in the future.”