Student government report: Feb. 8 Student Government meeting sees budget approvals, vacancies temporarily filled

Student Government’s Feb. 8 meeting involved new member introductions, vacancy planning, budget approvals and interim executive candidate elections.

Two new general body members were introduced: Ava Gallia ‘26 and Alex Brown ’26. They will serve as class of 2026 representatives, filling the remaining vacancies in the class. 

An executive session was called to order at 7:17 p.m. for budget approvals, and only members of Student Government were allowed to be in attendance.

No information was provided regarding the approvals.

During the meeting, Student Government President Thania Hernandez ‘25 also recognized the need to fill the roles of the inclusivity officer and parliamentarian for an interim term, during which candidates must be selected internally.

Interim executive candidate elections then took place. All those interested in a temporary executive position were allowed to make a statement before a final vote was counted.

Colin Gray ‘26 and Virginia Sacotingo ‘25 ran for the position of inclusivity officer, and as neither member reached a three-fourths majority, both candidates chose a delegate to speak on their behalf.  Gray eventually stepped down, and a revote was cast to select Sacotingo as the interim inclusivity officer.

Selina Zhu ‘27 then ran for the position of interim parliamentarian, where she received a three-fourths majority vote and was selected. 

Both Sacotingo and Zhu will fill the roles until the permanent replacements are announced — the elections for the positions will be open to the campus. The application for an inclusivity officer has been extended until Feb. 21, with the parliamentarian deadline the same day.