Melding the music: A weekend of wide-ranging music performances

By Anastasia Gayol Cintron ‘17 and Rachel Rubino ‘17 | Collaborative Writers

A different kind of tune from your typical Christmas songs will be ringing over campus in the next few days. Several student groups will be featuring a combination of classical, Zimbabwean and holiday music today and Saturday.

Kicking off the weekend is the Student Honors Recital, a showcase of select student musicians. After a grueling round of auditions, the Music Department chose students and small ensembles to perform this Friday in the Williams Center.

Six students have rehearsed on their own, in private music lessons, and with their accompanists to prepare for the concert.

One chosen musician, Julia Campbell ‘15, will be playing the first movement of the Muczynski Sonata for flute and piano.

“My other performances with the Lafayette Music Department tend to be with larger ensembles,” Campbell said, explaining the uniqueness of the recital. “It’s a different experience to perform with just one other person. It’s easier in some ways and more difficult in others.”

The challenging piece required Campbell to work with staff accompanist Anna Maria Marzullo. Marzullo is the pianist for the Concord Chamber Singers and teaches privately in her studio. She commented on the students’ work over the semester: “The students wanted to share their love of music and their work that they’ve done for the semester,” Marzullo said.

On Saturday, the music department will host a second concert: the Concert Choir, Chamber Singers and Percussion Ensemble will take the Williams stage.

With the fusion of talents also comes the combination of music genres. Besides the arrangement of traditional holiday tunes, other songs will incorporate the contemporary sound of Zimbabwean-style bass marimba. The high-spirited, energetic vibe of Zimbabwean music resembles Caribbean pop beats.

“It will be a very interactive concert,” choir member Maddie Zuschnitt ‘17 said. “Singers will be moving throughout the audience to enhance the upbeat feel.”

The collaboration of music groups along with the eclectic feel of African-inspired beats is a special twist of sounds.

“I am especially excited to perform with the percussion ensemble because they integrate various instruments such as the drums, rainstick, and cowbell into our songs,” Zuschnitt said.

The Student Honors Recital will be held today at noon at the Williams Center for the Arts, room 123, and the joint concert will be held on Saturday at the Williams Center at 3:00 p.m.