Sports Recap Central: 9/19/2014

Field Hockey

September 12 – Lafayette vs. Liberty: W, 4-2

Four different players scored on the day for the Leopards, including freshman Ellen Colbourne, junior Hannah Millen, seniors Jenna Seybert, and Kelsey Mead. Senior goalkeeper Jess Deutsch recorded four saves on the day.

September 14 – Lafayette at No. 16 Penn State: L, 5-1

Senior Kelsey Mead gave the Leopards an early 1-0 lead after scoring in the sixth minute. The Penn State offense was too much for the Leopards defenders though, as the Nittany Lions proceeded to score five goals over the remainder of the game.

Football

September 13 – Lafayette vs. Robert Morris: W, 50-3

Ross Scheuerman led the Leopards’ high-octane offense again the Colonials of Robert Morris totaling 204 total yards on offense. He had 173 yards on the ground to go along with 31 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown. The Leopards also dominated on the defensive end of the ball, having two defensive touchdowns on the day. Senior Jared Roberts and junior Mark Dodd each had an interception return for a touchdown.

Golf

September 12-14 – Bucknell Invitational from Bucknell Golf Club: 2nd Place

The men’s golf team claimed second place in the second tournament of the season. Freshman Art Griffin took home medalist honors after firing rounds of 71, 65, and 71. Sophomore Jared Mactas also tied for 17th place after firing rounds of 79, 74, and 73.

Women’s Volleyball

September 12 – Lafayette vs. Delaware State: W, 3-2

The Leopards were able to win in five sets, led by freshman Elizabeth Walsh with 14 kills and sophomore Jet Manzi with ten kills.

September 12 – Lafayette vs. Marist: L, 3-0

Freshman Elizabeth Walsh was able to have seven saves on the game, putting her at 21 on the day.

September 14 – Lafayette vs. Saint Peters: L, 3-1

Despite a strong effort from the Leopards, they were downed in four sets. The team was able to keep it very close in the first set, losing just 26-24. The Leopards also took the third set 25-23, but lost 25-21 in the fourth. Freshman Elizabeth Walsh led the way in kills with 16 and junior Lauren Pisauro led the way in digs with 17.

Cross Country

September 13 – Lafayette/Lehigh Dual Meet from Bethlehem, PA

Men: L, 48-15, Women: L, 45-18

Junior Stephanie Benko was the low finisher for both the men and women’s teams on Saturday with a third place finish and a time of 22:01.. The low finisher for the men was junior Thomas Day who claimed sixth with a time of 25:31.

Women’s Soccer

September 12 – Lafayette vs. UMass-Lowell: W, 1-0

All it took was one goal in the 73rd minute by junior Kelly Boyce to give the Leopards the 1-0 win. Sophomore goalie Danielle Sedillo allowed no goals and saved two shots.

September 14 – Lafayette at Monmouth: L, 3-0

Despite making five saves on the day, sophomore Danielle Sedillo allowed three goals on the day. The Leopards had just four shots on goal the entire day, compared to 21 by Monmouth.