Hannes and Hefting awarded Patriot League Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week

Photo by Trent for The Lafayette
Lafayette field hockey’s Felicitas Hannes was named Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week honors after scoring her first career hat trick on Saturday. (Photo courtesy of Athletic Communications)

Two standout juniors on the Lafayette field hockey team, striker Felicitas Hannes and defender Simone Hefting, received Patriot League Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, after their key performances during homecoming weekend. The team defeated Fairfield 2-1 and Colgate 5-1.

Hannes scored her first career hat trick on Saturday, with her first and third goals both being converted on penalty stroke attempts and her second goal being a strong shot assisted by Hefting. Hannes is currently sitting at second on the team in points with seven goals and an assist.

“I think Felicitas did a very good job this weekend and was a strong presence on the forward line,” Hefting wrote in an email. “I am very proud of her and the goals she scored. I think this shows how strong our mid and offensive lines are on the field.”

Lafayette field hockey’s Simone Hefting was awarded Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week after her crucial performance on the defensive line this weekend. (Photo courtesy of Athletic Communications)

Hefting was crucial on the defensive line this weekend, helping to keep both opponents to under 10 shots. Her eye for passing was evident as she additionally assisted both of Lafayette’s goals against Fairfield. Hefting holds the fourth spot for team points with a goal and five assists.

This past week was not the first time this pair has received honors.

In 2020, Hannes started in all six of the team’s spring games and was named to the Zag Sports Tours/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) 2020 Division I National Academic Squad.

Last spring, Hefting was was selected to the All-Patriot League Second Team, earned Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week at the end of March, and earned a spot on the 2020 NFHCA Division I All-Mideast Region Second Team. This is Hefting’s second Defensive Player of the Week honor this season, after Sept. 13.

“It obviously feels like an honor to receive it again,” Hefting said. “It is a nice surprise to see your name mentioned after the weekend. However, I could not have done it without the rest of the team. Having such a good structure makes my job as a defender a lot easier.”

Both Hannes and Hefting have been forces to reckon with since their high school days.

Hannes is from Cologne, Germany and attended Irmgardis Gymnasium. She was a part of the Marienburger Sports Club for 13 years and attended the West German Indoor Championship three times.

Hannes was also a peer tutor for math and volunteered for a sports program that was created for refugee children in Cologne.

When applying to colleges, Hannes was impressed by how close the field hockey team at Lafayette was with each other.

“When I came to Lafayette for my official visit I immediately felt like the team was all best friends and enjoyed their time together,” Hannes said.

Being from across the globe, the family aspect of the team is really important to her.

“I just really love the team, it’s like a family. I live a little further away so my parents can’t really come and visit, so it’s nice to have friends that are really close to their families. They are always super nice and always invite me to everything,” Hannes said.

Hannes said that her favorite memories involve their team’s pre-game traditions.

“We always play kickball before game day which is a pretty fun tradition for us,” she said.

Hefting is from Den Bosch, Netherlands. She attended Stedelijk Gymnasium, where she was the champion of South Netherlands from 2012-2015 in field hockey.

Both Hannes and Hefting were named to the NFHCA 2019 Division I National Academic Squad and made the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll that year.

Hannes and Hefting both expressed that a team goal is to win the Patriot League Championship.

“With the team, I definitely want to win the championship. Scoring goals is always great, but as long as we win, I don’t care if I scored the goals or someone else does,” Hannes said.

“I definitely want to win the Patriot League. Personally, I think we can call the season successful if we get the title,” Hefting said. 

In terms of the season, Hannes expressed that she is happy with how the team has been performing, but they still have aspects they need to work on.

“I think it’s been going really well. The team’s a lot of fun this year, we play well together and I think it’s going in a good direction,” Hannes said. “Last week we worked on our team connection and certain detailed moments. This week we’ll definitely work on our defensive work because that wasn’t a strength for us this weekend.”

Other than notching a championship title, Hefting also described the individual goals she has for this season.

“I just want to grow in every aspect, both on and off the field. I want to lead by example and improve together with my teammates to be at our very best and perform at the highest level possible,” Hefting said.

Hefting wants to get everything possible out of this fall season.

“I want to stay very disciplined. I’m working on my stick speed, explosiveness and new skill sets such as a more deceptive sweep or overhead balls, which will make me a better player,” she added.

While Hannes is proud of receiving the award, she expressed that she sees it more as a reflection on the team as a whole.

“It’s a super great honor to be named Offensive Player of the Week,” Hannes said. “Getting the award is great, but I’m just really proud that the team played so well.”

Lafayette will travel to Boston University this Saturday to face the Terriers at noon, followed by their first Ivy League away game of the season on Sunday against Brown in Providence, R.I.