‘Omigod! Omigod you guys!’: ‘Legally Blonde’ announced as spring musical

The Marquis Players hold a spring musical production every year. (Photo courtesy of Timmy Mayrose ’23)

By Bernadette Russo, Assistant Arts and Culture Editor

At the end of their annual fall showcase yesterday, the Marquis Players announced their much-anticipated annual spring musical: “Legally Blonde.”

The musical, based on the 2001 film of the same name, follows Californian Elle Woods after her boyfriend breaks up with her for being “too blonde.” As she gathers everything she can to enroll in Harvard Law School to get him back, she meets new people and uses her own personal flair to exceed expectations as a woman in law. 

The musical features songs such as “Omigod You Guys,” “Chip on My Shoulder,” “Gay or European,” and “Bend and Snap.”

The fall showcase happened Thursday in Colton Chapel. This showcase is the group’s biggest fall event and also features personal performances from members of the group in a more laid-back environment.

“It’s the first event where all the general body members are together, so it’s a great way to get to know the Marquis Players and meet a bunch of new faces,” Marquis Players Director Timmy Mayrose ’23 said.

Due to the pandemic, the class of 2022 is the only class year on campus that has experienced a full-scale spring musical production by the Marquis Players. Mayrose said he is looking forward to welcoming everyone back into the theater.

“We knew that we wanted to do a big show that the whole community could really enjoy because we wanted to bring everyone back into the theater and we wanted something high energy,” Mayrose said.

The group’s production last spring, “The Wedding Singer,” was their first big in-person performance since the pandemic. While the group had to follow COVID-19 guidelines by holding the show outdoors and wearing masks on stage, it was nonetheless a successful production and a transformative year for the Marquis Players.

“The Marquis Players every year has stepped up its professionalism and talent, so I really want to keep that going,” Mayrose said. “Our club numbers, our participation and all of our talent has exploded over the past few years.” 

“Legally Blonde” was chosen as the spring musical by the Marquis Players executive council in collaboration with the production team, which includes the director, stage manager, choreographer and production manager. After creating a short list of musicals and developing a pros and cons list from each department, they finally landed on “Legally Blonde.”

The board has already begun planning this semester, starting the interview process for minor production and designer roles in preparation for cast auditions this winter. Auditions will be held on Jan. 24 and 25, and more information will be coming soon.

“I can’t wait for Marquis Players to perform Legally Blonde. What, like it’s hard?” Mayrose said.