Swimming victorious over American at Navy Quad Meet

Lafayette swim’s Maggie Ivie competing in backstroke, placing fifth overall in the event this past Saturday at the Navy Quad meet. (Photo courtesy of Shannon Dyke ’22)

By Nicky Nathanson, Staff writer

The Lafayette swimming and diving team headed to Annapolis this past weekend to face Navy, American and Bucknell at the Navy Quad Meet. Both the men and women’s sides found themselves victorious over American while succumbing to Navy and Bucknell.

“Navy’s the best in the Patriot League, so just to race against the top guys in the conference is really important, especially since we have Lehigh coming up. Getting in some really good racing before Lehigh is super important,” sophomore James Lapsley said.

Freshman Avery LeTourneau headlined the Leopards with a second-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 50.84. In the 200-yard butterfly, LeTourneau finished seventh with a time of 1:57.03. They tied for the best men’s team finish of the day.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, the foursome consisting of junior Aaron Tupper, sophomore Ben Arky, freshman Antonio Arena and senior Michael Gorgan placed second with a time of 1.20.07.

Gorgan went on to place top five in his next two races, finishing in a tie for fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke recording a time of 2:08.29, while finishing fifth in the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 57.08.

Sophomore James Lapsley finished third in the 100-yard backstroke with a time 0f 52.69. Lapsley later competed in the 200-yard backstroke where he finished seventh, with a time of 1:59.69. Lapsley also took part in the 200-yard medley relay with teammates Gorgan, Letourneau and Tupper. The foursome finished sixth overall with a time of 1:34.11.

Tupper also competed in the 50-yard freestyle where he placed sixth with a time of 21.41.

Senior Naoki Nomura also held a top-5 finish placing fifth in the three-meter diving with a score of 132.60.

In the 200-yard backstroke, freshman Peter Kawash finished sixth with a time of 1:58:61. 

Rounding the day out for the men’s side with a top ten finish was freshman Andrew Campbell who finished seventh in both the 200-yard freestyle (1:45.60) and in the 500-yard freestyle (4:47.73).

Freshman Sophia Toomey highlighted the day for the women, placing fourth overall in the 10- yard butterfly with a time of 59.01.

Freshman Maggie Ivie also had a top five finish, placing fifth overall with a time of 59.44 in the 100-yard backstroke. She later took part in the 200-yard backstroke where she finished just one place back in sixth, with a time of 2:11.18.

Ivie’s day was not done, as she later took part in the 200-yard freestyle relay with teammates sophomore Maya Byrne, senior Samantha Talecki, and freshman Katie Blaisure. The foursome finished fifth overall with a time of 1.41.13.

Talecki also participated in the 50-yard freestyle placing 8th overall with a time of 25.19.

More top-ten finishes piled on the day as junior Haleigh Marzano placed sixth with a time of 2:15.96. Freshman Paige Griggs then finished seventh overall in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 10:53.34.

Sophomore Kristen O’Connor and senior Tara Leininger placed right next to each other in the 100-yard freestyle, with O’Connor finishing seventh with a time of 55.08 while Leininger finished in eighth with a time of 55.50. Leininger also finished in eighth in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:56.63.

The Leopards will return to action a week from now against rival Lehigh on Nov. 19.

“This is the first time in a while that we have an opportunity to beat Lehigh,” Lapsley said. “We just need everyone to be well-rested, come ready to race and do their best.”