Women’s swimming and diving dominates East Stroudsburg in weekend meet

Freshman Megan Douchette (pictured) competes in the freestyle at two-day meet against East Stroudsburg this past weekend. (Photo courtesy of Shannon Dyke ’22)

By Nicky Nathanson, Staff Writer

The Lafayette women’s swimming and diving team hosted East Stroudsburg last weekend, competing in a two-day meet for their last event this semester.

“Everyone was very motivated, especially coming off of the meet against Lehigh,” senior Lauren Lapsley said. “If people didn’t swim their best against Lehigh, they were committed to swimming their best times this weekend. It was another opportunity to swim fast and we did.”

Winning all eight events, the Leopards came out on top on the first day of action.

In the first event, freshman Maggie Ivie, junior Haleigh Marzano, freshman Sophia Toomey and senior Samantha Talecki placed first in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:48.08.

“So far this season, personally I am proud of consistently going faster than I have in past years,” Talecki said. “Team-wise I am proud of the culture the team has created this year because I feel like it is the most supportive and encouraging out of all of my years at Lafayette.”

Ivie went on to claim first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.68 and placed first in the 200 yard IM with a time of 2:14.05.

Toomey also went on to win the 200-yard backstroke with a final time of 2:13.61 and the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:09.80. 

In the 500 yard freestyle, junior Sydney Perks got in on the winning action, coming in first with a time of 5:19.19.

Lapsley added another win to the day, finishing first in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 1:00.04.

The first day concluded with a winning relay. Talecki and Ivie were joined by sophomore Kristen O’Connor and senior Tara Leininger. The 400-yard freestyle relay finished with a time of 3:36.00.

“For all of the relay teams I am a part of, we like to practice our relay starts off of each other in practice to make sure our transitions are as fast as possible,” Talecki said. “The people in the relays are fast swimmers, and when we train together we are constantly pushing each other.”

On day two of action, the Leopards continued to dominate to a similar degree.

Toomey, Talecki, Marzano and senior Danielle Carr began the day by winning yet another 400-yard medley relay (3:58.16).

The latter two were victorious in their respective solo races. Marzano finished with a time of 1:01.65 in the 100-yard backstroke and Carr finished with 1:57.86 in the 200-yard freestyle. 

The day didn’t end there, sophomore Kaley Snarr finished number one in the 100-yard freestyle (54.69) and junior Lindsay Monaco won the 200-yard butterfly (2:13.58). Lapsley rounded out the solo victories, placing first in the 400 yard IM (4:42.02).

O’Connor, Carr, Talecki and sophomore Maya Byrne finished the day finishing first in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:40.42.

“I think the team did a great job supporting each other at the meet,” Talecki said. “We are all at the stressful point in the semester where everyone is getting ready for finals, so I think everyone’s positive attitudes contributed to us all being successful.”

“It was so inspiring to see everyone being so encouraged to be better athletes, swimmers, and teammates,” Lapsley added.

With the close of their season happening in early February, the Leopards will enjoy a few weeks off, heading to their yearly Winter Training Trip in Plantation, FL. from Jan. 5-12.