Women’s swim and dive finishes Patriot League Championships in 10th

The 200-yard freestyle relay with freshman Maggie Ivie, senior Sam Talecki, sophomore Kristin O’Connor and senior Emily Wilson (pictured left to right) set a school record at the Patriot League Championships. (Photo courtesy of Emily Richter ’22)

By Issy Bongiovanni, Staff writer

The women’s swimming and diving team attended the Patriot League Championships last week, which took place over four days in Annapolis, Md. The team placed 10th.

Day one held an impressive performance in the 200-yard medley relay as seniors Samantha Talecki and Danielle Carr, junior Haleigh Marzano and freshman Sophia Toomey placed in eighth in the event with a time of 1:46.72. The women’s team finished the day in 10th place with 22 points.

During day two, both Toomey and senior Lauren Lapsley recorded a personal best in the 200-yard IM during the morning session. Toomey finished 32nd overall (2:10.12) and Lapsley followed behind in 39th (2:12.02).

Junior Haleigh Marzano opened up scoring for the women’s team on day three, finishing 14th in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:05.39. 

“[Marzano] made it back to finals in two out of the three of her events, which was really good,” Monaco said.

Some of Marzano’s relays were on the way to breaking records, but they were disqualified because they left the block too early.

“The relays score double the points, so we really lost a lot of points there. We’ll practice for that and it’s okay, we’ll get them next time,” Monaco said. 

Freshman Maggie Ivie’s performance in the 100-yard backstroke resulted in a 15th place overall finish with a time of 57.39.

Ivie, along with Talecki, sophomore Kristen O’Connor and senior Emily Wilson finished eighth in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The foursome’s impressive performance is a Lafayette school record.

The women’s team ended day three in 10th place with 49 points. 

Marzano again kicked off the scores for the women’s finals on day four, finishing 13th in the 200-yard breaststroke. 

Talecki, Ivie, Wilson and senior Tara Leininger finished ninth in their 400-yard freestyle relay. Their time of 3:29.69 earned Lafayette a new school record.

“Our team morale was really high and I think we were really supportive of each other and wanted everyone to do really well,” Monaco said. “We always watched each other when we swam and said positive words, whether it was good or bad swims.”

The women’s team finished the Patriot League Championship with 71 points, maintaining their 10th place overall.