Field hockey splits weekend, notches first Patriot League win of season

Senior Molly McAndrew is embraced by the team after she scores one of the Leopards’ two goals during their 2-0 win over BU. (Photo by Trent Weaver for GoLeopards)

In last weekend’s double-header, the field hockey team (5-11 overall, 1-3 Patriot League) upset Boston University 2-0 and lost to Yale University 0-1. The team is currently in sixth place in the Patriot League, with their playoff chances contingent on them winning their final Patriot League matchups and on some other teams losing throughout the league.

Lafayette handed Boston its first Patriot League loss of the season. The Terriers lead the table and have clinched a spot in the Patriot League tournament with an in-conference record of 4-1.

“It was our best performance so far, especially in the first half,” sophomore midfielder Lineke Spaans said. “We were very connected and we played like a team. We set up our press very well, and fulfilled our individual roles.”

It was senior forward and captain Molly McAndrew who put the Leopards ahead, scoring her fifth goal of the season. She now ranks ninth in the league for goals scored and tenth for total points with 12. Both senior forwards Felicitas Hannes and Spaans were credited with assists for the play. 

“We were threatening going forward and created many opportunities,” sophomore midfielder Laine Delmotte said. 

Spaans then converted a goal of her own, extending Lafayette’s lead to two. The Netherlands native now has three goals and six assists this season, and impressively ranks top ten in five separate individual categories in the league: shots (ninth), shots on goal (sixth), assists (third), defensive saves (ninth) and points (tenth). 

Delmotte pointed out Spaans’ strong play this past weekend. “She was super dangerous on offense, but was tremendous on defense as well.”

“With her speed and skill, [Spaans] is always a threat,” sophomore defender India Ralph agreed. 

The Leopards had 12 shots and four penalty corners on Saturday, while the Terriers had nine and three, respectively. That win gave the Leopards their first Patriot League victory of the year.

The next day, the team traveled to New Haven, Conn., to take on Yale. 

The Bulldogs’ lone goal in their 1-0 victory came off of a penalty corner in the second quarter. 

“Our communication needs to be better, especially when organizing our defensive structure,” Delmotte said. 

“They were very fit and they moved the ball fast, both on and off the ball. It made the game very difficult,” Spaans added. 

The team’s busy schedule seemed to have an effect on the game as well.

“Everyone was a little more tired because of the game before,” Spaans said.

The Bulldogs put the pressure on the Leopards, totaling 19 shots to Lafayette’s 13. Penalty corners were tied at seven apiece. 

Freshman goalkeeper Raffi Fragomeni made six saves in the match, her third-highest tally of the season. Her performances this weekend resulted in a Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week nod; she currently holds a save percentage of 67.6 percent with 46 total saves this season.

Senior defender Simone Hefting added yet another award to her illustrious career with the Maroon and White, as she was named Defender of the Week. She has scored two goals this year, along with a career-high four defensive saves. Her four defensive saves this year have surpassed the three that she made in her other three years combined. In total, she’s appeared in 91 games for Lafayette and started in all but one of them. 

The team still has a chance to make the playoffs, contingent on certain results from around the league. However, Lafayette seems to be focused on controlling what it can and letting the other parts fall into place. 

“We know we have to win the last two Patriot League games in order to have a chance to make the tournament, and the rest is not in our power,” Delmotte said. “The team is ready to give everything to get these wins.”

“We grew a lot as a team the past couple of months. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of time to work things out in the middle of a campaign,” Spaans added. “It’s especially hard as a fall sport, since the team doesn’t have time before the season like a winter or spring sport does.”

The Leopards will travel to Colgate University tomorrow for a must-win clash in Hamilton, N.Y.