Sports Recap Central

Football (2-6) (2-1)

Oct 21 vs Bucknell

L, 13-7 (OT)

Lafayette lost their first Patriot League game of the season in dramatic fashion. Bucknell returned an interception 95 yards on the first play of overtime to beat the Leopards in a game in which all of Bucknell’s points were scored via pick 6. Senior Brandon Bryant had 17 tackles and the Lafayette defense held Bucknell to just 208 total yards.

Golf

Oct 20-21 at Lehigh Fall Invitational

T-4

Lafayette tied for fourth at 37-over par, falling behind Patriot League foes Lehigh, Bucknell and Fordham who took the top three spots, respectively. The Leopards tied with Sienna, St. John’s and Monmouth. Freshman Cole Berger led the team with a ninth place finish overall with a five-over par 149 through two days of competition.

Men’s Soccer (4-12-0) (3-4-0)

Oct 21 vs Colgate

W, 2-1

The Leopards used goals from two defensemen to beat Colgate in league play. In the 56th minute, sophomore forward Diego Gomera-Taverez tied up the game at 1 with a stellar long-range goal. Senior captain and defender Chris Moyse sealed the deal for Lafayette with a PK score in the 77th minute. Senior goalie Brad Seeber had four saves in the win.

Oct 25 @ Navy

W, 3-2

Sophomore forward Evan Vare netted a hat trick for all of the Leopards’ goals. In the second half, he led the team to score the equalizer and later the game-winner in the 83rd minute as he doubled his season scoring total. This was the first time this season that the Leopards reached more than two goals in a game.

Awards: Chris Moyse ’18—Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week

Field Hockey (6-10) (2-3)

Oct 21 at No. 22 American

L, 3-1

Despite doubling up American on corners 6-3, Lafayette couldn’t convert scoring chances into goals in their Patriot League matchup against American. Sophomore defender Lisa van der Geest had the Leopards’ lone goal for her second of the year, but the Eagles had two unanswered tallies in the second half to put it away. Sophomore goalkeeper Sarah Park had two saves.

Oct 23 vs Quinnipiac

L, 3-2 (OT)

Lafayette scored first with sophomore defender Lisa van der Geest finding freshman midfielder and defender Anna Steps for her first goal of the game and second of the season. That same pair tied up the contest for the Leopards later in the 69th minute, but Quinnipiac’s Dayna Barlow’s hat trick won the game for the Bobcats in overtime. Sophomore goalkeeper Sarah Park had six saves.

Awards: Ellen Colbourne ’18—NFHCA Division I Senior Game Alternate

Women’s Soccer (4-8-2) (2-5-1)

Oct 18 at Navy

L, 1-0

A Navy goal in the 77th minute sunk the Leopards in a matchup that featured strong goaltending from both freshman Maggie Pohl and senior Kelly O’Brien. Pohl and O’Brien had four saves each, and Navy remained undefeated in Patriot League play.

Oct 22 vs American

W, 3-1

Senior Day was sweet to the Leopards, who downed American to remain a contender for the Patriot League playoffs. Freshman forward Krista Kissell got the scoring started early with a goal less than a minute into the game. The Eagles tied it up going into the half, but Lafayette pulled away in the second with goals from juniors, forward Alex Stanford and midfielder Katie Brannigan.

Volleyball (5-18) (2-8)

Oct 20 at Army West Point

L, 3-1

After dropping the first two sets 25-20 and 25-16, Lafayette won the third set 28-26 on a 3-0 run after a back-and-forth affair. That set was the first set the Leopards had won against Army since 2014. The fourth set went entirely the Black Knights’ way, however, as they claimed the victory with a 25-13 win in the final set.

Oct 21 at Holy Cross

L, 3-0

Holy Cross was in control from the beginning, beating Lafayette in straight sets 25-13, 25-18, 25-18. The sets were back-and-forth affairs, but the Crusaders used big runs to ultimately pull away in each set. Freshman Alexis Capers had six kills while freshman Lexie Caraveo had nine digs.