Sports Recap Central

Field Hockey (8-11) (4-2)

Nov. 2 @ Boston University

L, 2-1

Field Hockey’s final game of 2018 was a hard-fought battle. Junior forward Caroline Turnbull scored a 24th minute goal to tie the game 1-1 before the defense allowed the deciding score in the 64th minute. The loss ended the season for the girls, and three of their eleven starters will be graduating this spring. 

Fencing

Nov. 3 @ Penn State

The young players led the way for the Leopards, as sophomore Maura Diventura made it to the third round for epee and fellow sophomores Olympia Peters and Bora Mutis both made it to the second round for the foil squad. Freshman saber Carolyn Feigeles and junior saber Patrick Rekieta also both advanced to the second round.

Swimming and Diving

Nov. 3 vs. Bucknell/Navy/American

The Lafayette swimming and diving teams had a quad meet on Saturday against Navy, American and Bucknell at Bucknell University. The men’s team captured a narrow win with a 145-143 victory over American, but lost to both Navy and Bucknell. The women put up a fight against American, but ultimately lost all three matchups. The women will be back in action this Saturday, Nov. 10, at LIU Brooklyn. 

Football (3-6) (2-3) 

Nov. 3 vs. Holy Cross

L, 40-14

Looking to extend their two game win streak, the Leopards started out with a 14-0 lead before surrendering 40 straight points to Holy Cross. Sophomore quarterback Sean O’Malley threw 23-of-41 for 156 yards and an interception and senior captain C.J. Amill carried the ball eight times for 65 yards and a touchdown. Senior defensive back Trent Crossan had six tackles, while sophomore Harrison Greenhill and junior Keith Earle had half a sack each for the defense.

Volleyball (5-21) (0-14)

Nov. 3 vs. Bucknell

L, 3-2

Freshman outside hitter Leanna Deegan had 34 kills to set the Patriot League record for kills in a single match against Bucknell. After splitting the first two sets, Lafayette won the third 35-33 to take a 2-1 advantage going into the fourth set. The team dropped the last two sets by narrow margins, 25-19 and 15-10, leading to the close loss. 

Nov. 4 vs. Lehigh

L, 3-1

Lehigh won the first two sets of the match before the Leopards came back to win the third, 25-19. A day after breaking the Patriot League record for kills in a single match, freshman Leanna Deegan tallied 17 kills with six digs and an assist. 

Men’s soccer (5-8-4) (1-5-3)

Nov. 3 vs. Loyola

L, 1-0

The Leopards’ final game of the season saw the deciding goal find the back of the net just 35 seconds into the match. The team was undeterred, however, and played for the remaining 89 minutes without giving up another goal. Freshman goaltender Alex Sutton had a strong game, saving a penalty kick in the 69th minute to keep the deficit at one. The team’s three graduating seniors, forward Josh Kruczek, defenseman Joe DeStefano, and defenseman Josh Koval were part a pregame ceremony honoring the players and their families. 

Men’s basketball (0-1) (0-0) 

Nov. 7 @ Saint Peter’s

L, 93-86

The men’s basketball team lost their first game of the season, as the offense went cold down the stretch and in overtime despite the team leading at half, 40-33. Sophomore guard Justin Jaworski heated up for a career-high 28 points to pace the Leopards in scoring, and also added five rebounds and an assist. Sophomore guard Alex Petrie added 18 points and junior guard Kyle Stout chipped in 17 to round out the scorers in double figures. The team was outscored 14-7 in the overtime frame.