Legendary former basketball coach Pat Fisher passes away

Pat Fisher served as both a basketball and softball coach during her decades at Lafayette. (Graphic courtesy of GoLeopards)

On Sept. 8, long-time Lafayette women’s basketball coach Patricia “Pat” Fisher, 84, passed away peacefully in her home.

Leaving behind a career at Easton Area High School as a teacher and coach, Fisher joined Lafayette in 1980. She served as head coach of the women’s basketball team from 1980 until 2001 and also filled various positions throughout her 21-year career at Lafayette, including head women’s softball coach, coordinator of women’s athletics and assistant athletic director.

Fisher is the winningest coach in the history of Lafayette women’s basketball with a record of 295-284 (.509). During her tenure, the team amassed 11 winning seasons and earned two league championships. Her list of accolades includes three conference-wide Coach of the Year awards.

Fisher was inducted into the Maroon Club Hall of Fame in 2007. She was additionally honored in the Lehigh Valley Basketball Hall of Fame, as well as the Hall of Fame at East Stroudsburg University, where she received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

After her retirement, Fisher was elected to serve as a member of the Easton Area School District school board and continued to be an active member of the local community.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, the Cancer Support Community of the Greater Lehigh Valley or the Maroon Club of Lafayette College.