Op-ed: An open letter to President Nicole Hurd from concerned faculty and staff

Abridged version of an April 30 open letter signed by 52 faculty and staff:

Dear President Hurd,

On Thursday, April 25, 2024, several students received an email from Jennifer Dize (Interim Dean of Students) warning them that they may face charges through the Student Conduct system in response to a protest (attended by faculty, staff and students) that took place on Friday, April 19 on the Quad, in Farinon and in Markle, against the ongoing genocide in Palestine. It is deeply distressing and disturbing that Lafayette’s administration chose to intimidate a portion of the students present, for their activism and for exercising their rights to free speech, free assembly and freedom of expression. To consider the college’s newly-adopted Mission and Values Statement within the context of the current situation is to confront the stark contrast between our institution’s aspirations and the administration’s recent practices: “We are thoughtful members of the global community, educating our students to be compassionate, ethical leaders who constructively participate in society — from Easton and the Lehigh Valley, to the Commonwealth, the nation, and the world.”

If these words are to be more than marketing-speak on a college website, then the administration needs to embrace them. Students must be allowed to protest the ongoing oppression and violence in Palestine without fear of reprisal by the administration. Freedom of speech and expression are not privileges, but are the very scaffolding of academic institutions.

At the center of the tensions currently roiling college campuses across the United States is a serious threat to freedom of speech. And the chief menace to campus communities is, unambiguously, coming from administrations. While university presidents are calling in snipers, counter-insurgency troops and police in riot gear to suppress student activists and faculty allies around the country, we, the under-signed faculty and staff, support and applaud the Lafayette students who have chosen to animate our campus with their voices. As they continue to protest the ecocide, genocide and scholasticide in Palestine, we submit that they are collectively demonstrating one important manifestation of a responsible citizenry—to speak out against what they perceive as injustice, and challenge their institution to do all it can to ensure our community respects and enables all voices equally.

You must agree that our students have a right to enact their citizenry as outlined in our mission statement, and that they should be supported and protected.

To that end, we request that the administration:

a) publicly apologize to those students who received an email from Jenn Dize;

b) publicly explain how students were identified and how you will ensure they are not targeted based on past altercations, race/other protected groups, etc.;

c) permanently drop proceedings or reprisals in the form of expulsion or disciplinary measures, in any form;

d) publicly commit to not calling on Public Safety or the Easton Police when students, faculty or staff are peacefully protesting;

e) allow the “disruptive behavior” section of the Student Code of Conduct to be immediately reconsidered and discussed among students, faculty, staff and administration;

f) refrain from engaging in censure or reprisal of student protests and activism;

g) publicly commit to disclosure and engaging in conversation about divestment from any organization or company that is financially backing Israeli ecocide, genocide and scholasticide.

Thank you for addressing these concerns in a timely fashion.

Nandini Sikand, Rachel Goshgarian, Jeremy Zallen, Mónica Salas Landa and Hafsa Kanjwal are among 52 faculty and staff concerned by the Lafayette College administration’s response to a pro-Palestine protest.

• M

Melissa IskowMay 11, 2024 at 5:23 pm

Very disappointed that these professors don’t understand the meaning of genocide and that they are not publicly displaying their names. If they believe so much in this cause why are they afraid to display their names? They are making me question their ability to teach the students of Lafayette.

• T

Tom SkinnerMay 5, 2024 at 2:31 pm

Let’s just remember which side is genocidal. Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis and the IRG all call for the destruction of the state of Israel. I don’t believe most of these students are anti-Semitic, but are just misguided. The faculty signing this letter really should know better though. The underlying organization and funding of much of these protests is coming from overseas terrorist organizations that are committed to the destruction of Israel and our way of life too. In 75 years Israel has built a pluralistic democracy with an economy that has standards of living comparable to the US, despite being surrounded by countries intent on its elimination. In nearly twenty years of rule Hamas has invested in terror infrastructure at the expense of the citizenry of Gaza and before the war had incomes one quarter those in the West Bank (which itself has a corrupt and incompetent leadership). Let’s get the hostages free, free Gaza from Hamas, embrace a sustainable two state solution with a demilitarized Palestinian state and peace between Israel and Saudi Arabia so that we can all face down the true regional threat which is Iran.

• J

Jodi GrantMay 5, 2024 at 2:01 pm

There is a difference between free speech and the right to intimate or harass students, prospective students, and employees of the administration. It is the college’s responsibility to create reasonably and transparent guidelines so that the campus a safe learning environment for all students. The student “activists” at Lafayette have knowingly crossed that line, and as a result should face consequences . I applaud the college for standing up for all its students.

• T

Ted RuthizerMay 4, 2024 at 1:32 pm

The letter is so over the top and makes outlandish and flawed claims of
    “Ecocide, genocide and scholasticide” (what a word!). Israel is defending itself from an enemy, Hamas, which has sworn to its destruction. If it wanted peace, it would surrender rather than continue to hide in tunnels and to mix in the civilian population.

• J

Jeff RMay 4, 2024 at 11:26 am

“Constructively participate” does not mean engage in any speech or conduct one might want in pursuit of any cause important to that person, or speak hateful and threatening language including antisemitic remarks. And remember as much as some extreme faculty and students might not like that there is no absolute right to free speech at Lafayette or any other college. It’s all subject to the code of conduct the adults who run the place have established in the best interests of the entire institution in order to protect its students and safeguard its future. A student is at the college for only four years. It’s lasted nearly 200 and hopefully will last many more without misguided interference from activist fringe players trying to impose their will signing this statement. Actions do have consequences.

• S

Selin Sinan Uz ‘02May 4, 2024 at 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, at the moment, Catholicism uses Islamophobia to increase antisemitism worldwide. We need outspoken, courageous souls who can see world politics at play to balance the rights of humanity!

• M

Metta World PeaceMay 3, 2024 at 5:59 pm

When non-Western nations like China, Russia, or Iran shut down protestors or murder critics, we tell them to respect freedom of speech like us free, democratic, civilized Western nations do. “Be more like us,” we say. But when protestors challenge the status quo, we play the “safety” card to silence speech we don’t like.

These so-called patriotic proponents of law and order would have supported the British Empire during the American Revolution.

• A

Alum 22May 3, 2024 at 10:48 am

As the president of Dartmouth College eloquently stated: “Actions have consequences”

• L

Leo the LeopardMay 3, 2024 at 9:29 am

I hope each student, faculty, and staff member faces the consequences of their actions. Free speech does not allow you to break the law.

• N

Not Mr. Law and OrderMay 3, 2024 at 11:45 am

Ok Mr. Law and Order. No law was broken, and arguably the college code of conduct was violated for disruptive behavior but that never seems to apply to loud frat boys or sorority girls doing their events on the Quad, or any other centrist pro-establishment demonstrations.

Only seems to apply to predominantly brown and black students protesting for a cause that seems to bother some parents and donors.

• S

SammyMay 3, 2024 at 9:21 am

Well put effort to protect students right to organize freely. I commend these professors and students!

• B

Bilal Akbar ‘18, Student Government President ‘16-‘18May 3, 2024 at 8:29 am

Applaud these members of faculty for their moral clarity and support of the students’ right to exercise free speech. I also joined 168 recent Alumni in December in signing a similar letter expressing concern over the administration’s suppression of first amendment rights and right to organize on campus.

But it appears things have only taken a turn for the worse in recent months. Hoping the administration stops intimidating students, intentionally or unintentionally, by overreacting as has become the pattern over the last year or so with pro-Palestinian speech and organizing.