Student Government sees Mission and Values presentation, Pard Pantry update at April 11 meeting

Student Government’s April 11 meeting covered a final Mission and Values statement presentation, confirmation of funding for the Menstrual Equity Project, introductions of potential new student organizations and an update on the Pard Pantry. 

College President Nicole Hurd presented the fourth and final draft of the new Mission and Values statement to Student Government members. The shortened statement received faculty approval the week prior; a prior faculty motion to approve the statement had previously been withdrawn after rebukes from several faculty members.

Student Government unanimously approved of the statement in an unofficial vote.

Hurd also announced that the college administration had fully funded the Menstrual Equity Project, attributing the decision to the work of Student Government.

Later, the Student Organizations Committee stated its plan to approve new clubs in the coming weeks. The process will include club presentations, a Q&A session and an executive session before a final vote by all members of Student Government. Twelve clubs will be discussed over a two-week period; six will present at the April 18 meeting and the remaining six will present on April 25. The 12 clubs include the Cheese Club, women’s club basketball and a chapter of Students for Life, a national pro-life group.

Before breaking into committee work, the Pard Pantry Ad Hoc committee announced that there will be a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony for the Pard Pantry on the last Saturday of the semester as a way of encouraging students who will remain on campus over the summer break to become familiar with the space. It is planned for May 7 at 2 p.m.