April 18 Student Government meeting sees clubs, course evaluation presentations

Student Government’s April 18 meeting included budget approvals, a faculty committee presentation on course selection information and the first round of new club approvals.

A total of $5,621 was requested of the Budget Committee from five clubs. The Equestrian Club requested an unanticipated budget of $4,190 for transportation and lodging, and was approved $2,300. Brothers of Lafayette requested $850 as an allocation for apparel, which was denied as the committee previously placed a limit on apparel spending.

Student Government President Thania Hernandez ‘25 presented two motions on behalf of the faculty Student Affairs Committee regarding information for course selections. The faculty asked that Student Government approve these proposals before proceeding further.

The first motion was to establish a syllabus repository in which faculty can optionally submit their syllabi or selected information about their course. It was approved in a faculty vote on Tuesday.

The second motion would allow for each department to post a policy on its website for how students can find further details on course selection.

Although the motion was not a resolution, a vote was conducted where members approved the endorsement of the motions.

The meeting marked the first set of new club approvals for the 2024-2025 academic year. Five potential clubs introduced their organization’s missions and goals before fielding questions from Student Government.

The clubs represented were Problem Solving Club, Glassmaking Club, Lafayette EDM & DJ Club, Brain Exercise Initiative and National Alzheimer’s Buddies.

After entering an executive session upon the completion of the presentations, members voted on each club. Problem Solving Club, Glassmaking Club and Lafayette EDM & DJ Club were rejected, while Brain Exercise Inititaive and National Alzheimer’s Buddies were approved.

Another set of clubs was presented at the April 25 meeting.