New student government treasurer appointed

Fifth position vacated this semester

Student government appointed a new treasurer Monday after former treasurer Ricky Lanzilotti ‘16 announced that he will resign, adding to the four students that left the organization at the beginning of the semester.

Leo Mackenzie ‘18 will be taking Lanzilotti’s position, standing unopposed after he was nominated. Mackenzie has served on student government and was a member of the budget committee.

Lanzilotti said he enjoyed serving on student government last semester, but now does not have enough time to dedicate to being treasurer and does not want to continue with the job – which involved talking to numerous student groups, crunching numbers and allocating budget requests – in his senior year.

Ultimately I just didn’t want to and don’t think I can commit the time to do the job as best as it can be done,” Lanzilotti said. He added that he has full faith and confidence that Mackenzie will do well as treasurer.

Mackenzie wrote in an email that there will be a transition process, where Lanzilotti will ease him into the role over the next two to three weeks. Afterward, Lanzilotti will officially resign.

Because the budget system is changing with the implementation of LafSync, Lanzilotti will see the old budget system out so Mackenzie does not need to learn two different ways of processing budget requests and allocating funds, Lanzilotti said.

Mackenzie did not have any information on when Lanzilotti’s spot as a student representative will be filled, but wrote that it would be soon.

Elected last week, Jake Parrish ‘16 will be serving as the Chair of Technology, Mackenzie’s former position on student government.

Lanzilotti’s decision adds to the four students that left student government at the beginning of the semester, including former Vice President Scott Bradley and student representatives Chad Peterson ‘17 and Nicolette Reilly ’16.

Sohrab Pasikhani ‘18 was asked to leave because he missed meetings and did not meet the tasks required of a student representative.

President Aaron Little declined comment on Lanzilotti’s decision to step down.