Men’s lacrosse falls in overtime to Binghamton

Men lacrosse drives to the crease against Binghamton in a heartbreaking overtime loss. (Photo courtesy of GoLeopards.com)

By Nicky Nathanson, Staff Writer

The men’s lacrosse team fell to Binghamton 13-12 this past Saturday in a tightly contested game that went to overtime. The loss drops the team’s record to 2-2 and ends its two-game winning streak.

Despite the heartbreaking end, the Binghamton game symbolizes more than just a normal loss to the Leopards. It’s a showcase that in any game they play this season, they can be competitive.

“This year’s roster is probably the most competitive and deep it’s been in a while, at least since I’ve been here,” junior Macklin Fitzpatrick said. “There is a different level of competitiveness and energy at practice, which has raised the standard for Lafayette lacrosse and I think that has translated into games as well.”

In the first quarter, the Leopards took the early 2-1 lead. Goals from junior Brian Collins and sophomore Peter Lehman swung the momentum in favor of the Maroon and White. However, Binghamton countered with three of their own. After one quarter, the Binghamton led 4-2.

Both Lehman and Collins found the net yet again in the second quarter to tie the game up. Binghamton would not be deterred as they continued seizing every opportunity, adding another four goals in this frame.

Fitzpatrick added a goal in this quarter, but by the end of the half, the Leopards trailed 8-5.

The Leopards shifted momentum back on their side in the third quarter as Fitzpatrick added his second goal of the game. Lehman got on board again, and shots from sophomore John Mathes and junior Ryan Duncan also hit the back of the net.

On the other end of the field, freshman goaltender Gabe Cummins kept the Leopards in the game, only surrendering one goal in the third period. At the end of three quarters played, the Leopards has stormed back and both teams were knotted at nine.

The Leopards grabbed their first lead of the game since the first quarter when Collins scored three and a half minutes into the fourth period. Binghamton countered with two of their own to retake the lead. Mathes scored again to tie the game up at 11 with five minutes to go. 

With two minutes left, Binghamton broke the tie with a goal. The Leopards countered back rather quickly as Fitzpatrick threw a laser past the goalie with 1:06 remaining for an incredibly clutch goal that tied the game up, forcing overtime.

In overtime, the goal from either side would determine the outcome of the game. Both teams traded turnovers before Binghamton scored a minute into overtime, solidifying their 13-12 win.

A trio of Leopards notched hat tricks–Lehman, Collins and Fitzpatrick–with two from Mathes and one from Duncan. The Leopards finished with 44 shots, while Binghamton had 26. Cummins saved six shots.

The Leopards will host Loyola University Maryland tomorrow for their Community Youth Day game at 12 p.m. 

“This is our first Patriot League game of the season, so there is definitely a heightened sense of focus and preparation going into this week,” Fitzpatrick said. “We all realize the opportunity we have in front of us and I think that serves as a little extra motivation, especially against a team like Loyola.”