Easton resident arrested for trespassing on campus

Two weeks ago, a previous trespasser on Lafayette property returned to campus and was arrested on site, according to a citation filed by public safety.

Christopher Stutzner, 23, was warned by the college’s public safety not to return to campus when officers first caught him trespassing about a year ago, Director of Lafayette College Public Safety Jeff Troxell said. Stutzner was with another non-student at that time, and both were issued the same warning.

“It’s private property,” Troxell said. “They shouldn’t be trespassing. We issued them a warning, and a trespass notice, don’t return to campus.”

“They left, peacefully, no issues,” he added.

On March 29, however, a public safety officer spotted Stutzner near Ramer Hall, trespassing again, according to the citation. Stutzner was compliant with public safety, according to Troxell, despite not complying with their previous warning.

“He didn’t listen to what we told him [a year ago]. So, again, no issues, he was just like, ‘Okay.’ And we escorted him off campus,” Troxell said.

Neither Troxell nor the citation specified if Stutzner actually entered Ramer Hall.

According to the citation, Stutzner was charged with criminal trespass, which Troxell specified as defiant trespass, a misdemeanor. Stutzner was arrested on site.

According to Pennsylvania law, defiant trespass can be a first-degree offense, third-degree offense or a summary offense. A third-degree offense carries a maximum penalty of either a $5,000 fine and/or a maximum 90 days imprisonment. A first-degree misdemeanor carries a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or a maximum of five years in prison. A summary offense can be one of four degrees, each carrying lesser penalties.

The citation did not specify the degree of the misdemeanor.

Troxell said if Stutzner returns to campus again, the charge issued against him would be more severe than the last.

“As he keeps returning, it just bumps [the charge] up another level, and he’s just going to get himself into trouble,” Troxell said.

According to a clerk at the magistrate’s office, Stutzner’s hearing on the matter is set for Thursday.