Lafayette golf underwhelms at Savannah Intercollegiate

Sophomore+Sean+Saw+looks+to+finish+off+a+put+during+the+Savannah+Collegiate+tournament.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+GoLeopards%29+
Sophomore Sean Saw looks to finish off a put during the Savannah Collegiate tournament. (Photo courtesy of GoLeopards)

Last Sunday, the Lafayette men’s golf team concluded the final round of the Savannah Intercollegiate at the par-72 club at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Ga. This was the first match the Maroon and White have played since the fall and they showed some rust, finishing in 10th place out of 16 with a team score of 897.

“We probably could have placed a bit higher if we had gotten more practice in and gotten there a little earlier,” sophomore Raymond Dennehy said. “We got there late for our practice round and did not get as much practice in as usual.”

Dennehy led the Leopards, tying for 20th place. He kicked things off with a 75 in round one and then followed it up with a 71 in round two and a 74 in the final round. Fellow sophomore Sean Saw finished tied for 43rd with a collective score of 226 at 10 over par.

Senior Martin Vanhaelst had a notable third round, shooting two under par for a score of 70. Vanhaelst racked up three birdies in the final round, scoring 228 total to tie for 51st.

Sophomore Michael Walsh shot an 83 in the first round, followed by a par in the second round. Walsh finalized the weekend in a tie for 55th place with a 74 in round three to total 229. Freshman Harry Dessel rounded out Lafayette’s top five finishers by opening up the first round with a score of 79, followed by an 80 in the second round and a strong finish in the final round with a 75. 

“We did very well in the last round, but we showed ourselves that if we want to compete at a higher level, we need a bit more time,” Dennehy said.

The Leopards will continue their spring season in the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg, Va. on March 27. Dennehy has full confidence in his squad in anticipation of the intercollegiate, which is hosted by the College of William & Mary.

“We’re kicking it in full groove today at the indoor facility, and we’ll be in Fort Lauderdale for spring break to get some practice in, so I think we’ll be well prepared for Williamsburg,” Dennehy said.

Dennehy has kept an optimistic outlook for the remainder of the season as well and has promised to do his due diligence by helping the team in any way he can.

“My goal for the spring season is to help the team win a Patriot League Championship,” Dennehy said.