Equestrian team shows promise at year’s first show

The equestrian team will host its next competition of the season on Oct. 15. (Photo courtesy of Emma Sylvester ’25)

Cantering into the 2023 horse show season, the equestrian team had a successful first show at Phoenix Rising Farm last Sunday. Placing second out of 13 colleges, the Leopards had ten different riders place. Three members of the team took the top spot in their classes.

Equestrian president and show captain senior Anna Paulsen won first place in the intermediate fences and second in intermediate flat ending the day as High Point Rider — the rider with the most collective points. Paulsen said that the equestrian team provides a space where she can foster her love for animals, bond with her teammates and fulfill her love for competition.

“It’s a welcoming and educational environment for students interested in horseback riding, regardless of their prior experience, and it provides a unique and enjoyable way to engage with equestrian sports within a collegiate setting,” Paulsen said.

In addition to Paulsen’s success, two other riders ended Saturday on top of the podium with junior Kristina Torkelsen winning the limit flat class and junior Emma Sylvester winning the novice flat class.

“What we do here is hunt seat equitation,” senior Zubair Ali said. “It’s divided into two main classes: over fences and the flat. In the flat, we are judged on our riding position during the walk, trot and canter, and how well we are able to ride correctly. Over fences, we are judged on pacing, taking appropriate distances when jumping, as well as general horsemanship like the flat.”

In open fences, junior Zoe Meyer and senior Grace McEneaney earned second and third-place ribbons, respectively, and Meyer claimed second in open flat. Freshman Ava Gustafson was successful in her debut show on the team, placing second in limit flat.

In addition to its success, the club is also dedicated to making sure that all levels of experience have the chance to compete.

Though Paulsen started riding at just seven years old and Ali only began during his sophomore year of college, both students have found a home in the equestrian team here on College Hill. 

“I was really proud of my ride. I felt that I had done really well and had come far from when I began. This was my first time cantering in a show ring, which was daunting but rewarding,” Ali said. 

After this successful first show, the team has a plethora of goals for this season, including making it to zones and then nationals. 

“We have new teams in the region which has made it more competitive this year. However, I believe we still have a real shot at getting there,” Paulsen said.

The team’s next show will be on Oct. 15, hosted at home at the Top Notch Equestrian Center.

Photo Editor Emma Sylvester did not contribute writing or reporting.