Kendal’s autumn playlist

Kendal’s favorites span the genre spectrum. (Photos courtesy of Spotify)

It’s finally fall, and despite it being 80 degrees out half the time, the leaves are changing color, college is in full swing and midterms are approaching. As we celebrate the beginning of October, I think it’s time to talk about music; whether you’re trying to find something to listen to when walking around campus or studying in Skillman, there’s something for everyone. 

Envision a crisp fall morning. The leaves are various shades of red, brown and yellow. The sun is just starting to rise and your first class was canceled. Maybe you decide to walk to Mojo 516 Cafe, or head downtown for breakfast with a few friends. These next few songs make me feel exactly that way.

“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” by Blue Öyster Cult was released in 1976, and most notably can be heard in the first “Halloween” movie. It’s quintessential fall, with an easy-going guitar heard throughout. You can almost forget the slightly unsettling lyrics asking the listener not to fear “the reaper.”

“California Dreamin’” by The Mamas & The Papas, released in 1965, is actually a song about the chill of the winter, but a quick listen brings up the slightly warmer palette of fall with the groovy sound of the ’60s. “Spooky” by Dusty Springfield, released in 1968, immediately makes me think of Halloween with the echoey haunting sound of the lyrics. 

While these next few songs aren’t fall-related, they’re great for expanding your music palette without forcing you to listen to country. “Outstanding” by The Gap Band, released in 1982, is joyous. It features the voice of Charlie Wilson, who you might recognize from his collaborations with Tyler, The Creator. This hit is something that always puts me in a better mood, especially on days when I have an 8 a.m. lab.

Within seconds of listening to “Tiden Flyver” by Boom Clap Bachelors, you’re likely to immediately recognize the song as having been sampled in “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe” by Kendrick Lamar. The song starts with a calming bass that continues throughout its chilled-out flowing lyrics.

“Eighties” by Killing Joke, released in 1985, very literally reminds the listener of the post-punk 80s with its thudding drum and guitar beats throughout the song. It’s definitely something that you could listen to while working out. 

Music is such a personal thing, and keeping that in mind I’ll introduce a few songs I love listening to no matter the season and no matter what I’m doing. As a huge grunge fan, I would be remiss not to introduce my top three in no particular order: “Nutshell” by Alice in Chains, “Room a Thousand Years Wide” by Soundgarden and “Until the Ocean” by Malfunkshun. They’re all songs I love that span the movement, even despite Malkfunksun’s limited run as a band.

Jazz is such an improvisational genre, but I think it can be a little underrated at times. Some of my favorite jazz songs are “The Thrill is Gone” by Chet Baker, “Emily” by Bill Evans, “I Love Music” by Ahmad Jamal Trio and “In a Sentimental Mood” by John Coltrane. 

Hopefully, a few of these songs end up in your new rotations, but if not, remember that there are always new genres, artists and bands to discover whenever you’re trying to figure out what to listen to next.

Kendal Davis
Kendal Davis, Staff Culture Writer

• E

EdithOct 6, 2023 at 8:04 am

This article makes me think of another famous song by the great Patti LaBelle, “Music Is My Life”. Music definitely is a marker of the moments of our life journey. Great article. Love how you covered so many genre’s because there’s is something for any and everyone.