Student Government report card, Nov. 9

Here is the breakdown for Student Government’s Nov. 9 meeting.

Agenda Posting

The bylaws state that Student Government meetings may only take place if the agenda is posted 12 hours in advance. The agenda was posted 21 hours before the meeting on Nov. 8.

Quorum

Student Government met quorum at 7:05 p.m. and started the meeting at 7:06 p.m. The meeting was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

Decorum

The Student Government constitution states that “the rules contained in the most recent edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern all actions of the Student Government.”

During the Nov. 9 meeting, there were actions taken – committee work – that did not appear on the agenda, a violation of Robert’s Rules. Other than that lapse, representatives largely followed Robert’s Rules of Order.

Agenda completion

Student Government accomplished everything on its agenda on Nov. 9 within four minutes. The new executive board was welcomed, members were asked to reapply and were encouraged to ask others to apply to Student Government, and a Monday meeting with The Lafayette was announced to discuss concerns regarding its reporting.

The 50 minutes following the agenda items were dedicated to committee work, which was not on the agenda. Members of several committees used this time to complete activities outside the scope of their Student Government roles.

Editor’s Note: In a version of the agenda made available to The Lafayette after publication, committee work was included. 

Meeting minutes

Under Student Government bylaws, meeting minutes are required to note the names of absent and tardy representatives, as well as an accurate text of each motion and amendment made.

The Nov. 9 meeting minutes contained all of these components.

Following a meeting, the communications officer is required to send the meeting minutes — containing a record of all meeting proceedings —  to relevant parties including The Lafayette, faculty governance, head resident advisors and fraternity and sorority presidents.

Multiple members of each of these parties confirmed that they were sent the unofficial minutes on Nov. 14 by the communications officer.