SMAC the Car a smash hit

Students took out their anti-Lehigh rage on a junkyard car. (Photo by Genamarie McCant for Lafayette Communications)

During Rivalry Week, a beloved tradition unifies Lafayette’s community: the smashing of a car spray painted with the words “Lehigh Sucks” on it.

SMAC the Car is run by the Student Movement Against Cancer, also known as SMAC. First mentioned in The Lafayette in 2010, the tradition promotes school spirit ahead of the annual Lafayette-Lehigh football game. However, this event doesn’t just help students get their anger out they are wrecking cars for a good cause.

“All of the money, all of the proceeds from this event goes to the American Cancer Society.” Lauren Scienski ‘25, a member of SMAC, said. “So, it’s not only promoting school spirit during Rivalry Week but raising awareness and money for an important cause.”

As the semester nears its end, SMAC president Ricki Blaustein ‘25 hopes that the SMAC the Car event can help students relieve stress. However, she doesn’t want students to forget why they’re signing up.

“I think SMAC is a really great organization,” Blaustein said. “I got involved freshman year and being able actually to lead it this year is pretty empowering, especially after the Relay for Life last semester, and I just love this event because it’s different and it just gathers a crowd more than anything else we’ve ever done.”

For some students, SMAC the Car isn’t about getting their anger against Lehigh out, but also against cancer.

“I think everybody’s anger with the disease, in general, can come out towards the cars,” Sarah Heald ‘25 said. “It’s nice that the money raised when you’re hitting the car goes to an important place.”

Students who did not know where their donations were going were surprised that the money from SMAC the Car was not being donated to Lafayette.

“I thought it would go to Bring the Roar initially,” Mary Romashchenko ’27 said. “But I was pleasantly surprised … it kind of encouraged me to actually go and do it.”