Sports recap central: 4/4/14

Baseball:

Saturday: W 3-2 (7) at Holy Cross

Losing 2-1 going into the last inning, Lafayette scored two runs on a pair of errors. Senior Connor Ortolf got the win, his second of the season, after a complete game performance.

Saturday: L 6-5 at Holy Cross

Senior Andrew Santomauro went 2-5 with a home run, and two runs. In the third inning Santomauro kept Lafayette in the game by beating out an infield hit, and then stealing second with two outs. Sophomore Jackson Kramer hit in the senior captain in the next at bat.

Sunday: Cancelled at Holy Cross

Sunday: Cancelled at Holy Cross

Wednesday: L 11-5 vs. Penn at Liberty Bell Classic

Softball:

Saturday: L 4-0 at Lehigh

After four and half innings of scoreless baseball, Lehigh scored two runs in both the fourth and the fifth innings. The rally started on a one out, two run home run by Morgan Decker off senior Melissa Robinson.

Saturday: Postponed at Lehigh

Sunday: Postponed at Lehigh

Sunday: Postponed at Lehigh

Monday: L 4-1 at Lehigh

After Lafayette was thrown out at the plate to end the fifth inning, Lehigh broke open the 1-1 tie, and scored three consecutive runs on a wild pitch, a sac fly, and an infield error.

Monday: L 9-1 at Lehigh

Lehigh infielder Morgan Decker was 3-3 with two doubles, and a triple, with an RBI. Decker, along with the rest of the Lehigh offense, totaled 12 hits on 26 at bats.

Tuesday: L 4-0 vs. Temple

Temple pitcher Kelsey Dominik fanned nine Lafayette batters, only giving up two hits in seven innings. She also went 2-4 with a home run.

Tuesday: L 10-1 vs. Temple

Temple’s 1-3 in the lineup, went 8-13 with seven RBI and four runs. Temple had 16 hits and 10 runners left on base.

Wednesday: L 8-0 (6) vs. Towson

A five run rally in the second inning put Towson on top for the game’s entirety. Lafayette was held to two hits in the ballgame.

Wednesday: W 9-6 vs. Towson

Leading 7-0 after 2 innings, Lafayette knocked Towson’s starter out of the game early. Junior Kristen Berger and sophomore Allison Brown combine for 5-8 in the game with seven RBIs and four runs along with a three run home run.

Golf:

Friday-Sunday: FAU Slomin Autism Invite

Sophomore Travis Ricca and freshman Garret Sweetney tied for 73th at The Fountains Country Club course. The team finished in 15th for the weekend.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Friday: L 9-8 (OT) vs. Mercer

Lafayette forced overtime after two late 4th quarter goals within the last 2:32 of regulation. Sophomore Robert Orazietti tied the game up with 18 seconds left. Mercer’s Chris Baxa ended the game when he netted a goal with six seconds left in overtime.

Tuesday: W 9-5 at Monmouth

Junior Brian Bock led the Lafayette offense with three goals on seven shots. Lafayette had 23 shots on goal to Monmouth’s 16.

Track & Field:

Saturday: 8-Way Meet

The women’s team finished in first with 152 points, while the men’s team finished in second with 110 points. Junior Grace Watters came in first in the 800 meter run at a time of 2:20.52. In the 1500, senior Rose Willey and sophomore Stephanie Benko, finished second and third respectively in the 1500 meter run. For the men, senior David Robinson won the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.50. Sophomore Jarrel Bobb also finished in front in the 200-meter dash finishing with at 22.77.

Women’s Lacrosse:

Saturday: L 9-8 vs. Boston University

Lafayette went on a 7-1 run in the first half with goals from seniors Laura Kleiber, and Ana White, and freshman Kirsten Wilhelmsen. Boston University took over in the second half scoring three goals in two minutes to take the final lead by one goal.

Thursday: vs. Villanova at 7:30

Women’s Tennis:

Saturday: L 7-0 at Loyola

Loyola swept Lafayette in straight sets in singles in all but one match.

Thursday: Cancelled vs. Saint Joseph’s

Men’s Tennis:

Saturday: L 4-3 at Loyola

Sophomores Brian Pinkard and Brian Stefanowicz were the only ones to win their singles matches. The second and third singles scored 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5), and 6-0, 6-4 respectively.