Lafayette athletics ranks top-10 nationally in graduation success rate

15 of Lafayette’s athletic programs had 100 percent graduation success rates. (Photo courtesy of Athletic Communications)

Lafayette College athletics were recently ranked seventh in the nation in graduation success rate (GSR) by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The GSR is calculated based on athletes’ graduation over six years but does not include transfer students or those who leave the school.

Of the 18 sports measured, Lafayette held a 98 percent GSR overall. The school ranked eighth in GSR in 2018.

“I am thrilled about the results of our graduation success and it is always nice to sit at the top of national rankings,” Athletic Director Sherryta Freeman said. “It is a true testament to our commitment to academic excellence and the holistic development of our student-athletes.”

15 of the 18 varsity programs at the school had 100 percent graduation success rates, including both cross country and track and field teams. For the women, the basketball, lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, swimming and diving, field hockey, tennis and volleyball teams all had perfect marks. For the men, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer and tennis also achieved 100 percent GSR’s.

The football team tied for first place in the Patriot League with Holy Cross and Georgetown for GSR, recording a mark of 97 percent.

“First, I must give credit to our fantastic student-athletes and their unwavering commitment to academic excellence,” Freeman said. “And second, a kudos to our coaches and staff for recruiting and developing phenomenal student-athletes.”