Remembering JaNazha Arthur-Walcott

JaNazha+Arthur-Walcott+was+born+on+July+26%2C+1996%2C+in+Easton%2C+PA.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+The+Express+Times%29+

JaNazha Arthur-Walcott was born on July 26, 1996, in Easton, PA. (Photo courtesy of The Express Times)

By Nathan Kornfeind, News Editor

On Tuesday, Sept. 28, the Lafayette community lost JaNazha Arthur-Walcott, 25, a loving personality who played an integral role as a member of the college dining services. Her co-workers and friends remember her fondly.

“[Arthur-Walcott] was a fantastic employee,” Scott Sypniewski, executive chef of Lower Farinon, said. “She was a consistent worker and enjoyed being around the team in Farinon, especially her best friends and co-workers DeShawn Fears and Ashli Lancaster.”

Lancaster reflected on her memories with Arthur-Walcott, emphasizing her loving personality.

“[Arthur-Walcott] was a big part of my life. She was about love whether it was family love, relationship love, or friendship love. She will talk about the importance of friendship and family. JaNazha loved swimming and loved to eat ice cream and did not like disappointments or failing. JaNazha was a happy and loving person,” she said. 

In accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and out of respect for the family, neither dining services nor the college shared the cause of her death, Director of Business Services Greg Scofield explained. 

According to her obituary, “[Arthur-Walcott] loved her family, tattoos, being outdoors–especially by the water–sunrises and sunsets, spas, music and trying new foods.”

Born in Easton, she graduated from Spoto High School in Tampa, Fla. In Oct. 2018, she joined the Lafayette dining services, working as a dishwasher at Gilbert’s, Lower Farinon and The Trolley Stop. Her last day of work was Sept. 2, 2021, General Manager of Bon Appetit Christopher Brown shared. 

“Janazha was an extremely valued employee and the Bon Appetit family will miss her tremendously,” he said.