Leopards leap into win column: Quaterback Drew Reed leads team in comeback win

With 308 passing yards from junior quarterback Drew Reed, Lafayette’s offense carried the

team as Lafayette finally leaped into the win column this week with a 35-24 comeback win

against Wagner.

Following a missed game due to suspension and two lackluster games to start the season,

Reed looked much like the player that led the team his freshman year. Throwing for four

touchdowns and rushing for another, Reed’s performance garnered his first 300-yard game

since the 2013 Lafayette-Lehigh contest.

“This week is a big testament to our receivers,” Reed said. “They were getting separation down

the field. They made big plays the whole day.”

Freshman Joey Chenoweth and sophomore Matt Mrazek combined for 185 yards on 15

catches. Chenoweth’s performance won him Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors.

Down 21-24 in the fourth quarter, Reed looked to Mrazek for an end zone catch that resulted in

the go-ahead score.

“That’s what Mrazek does,” Reed said. “He comes though in big situations… He goes and wins

balls that maybe he shouldn’t win.”

The reliance on the pass has been a theme for Lafayette this year as they continue to

distinguish who will carry Lafayette running backs in the post-Ross Scheuerman era. Junior

Kyle Mayfield led the team this week with 29 yards on 9 carries.

“Certainly we’d still like to run the ball better,” coach Frank Tavani said. “That’s a work in

progress.”

Despite giving up 385 total yards on the day, the Lafayette defense showed renewed passion

and spark in the second half of the game to keep Wagner to only a field goal and allow the

offense to mount the comeback.

“Before the game, coach Link got us…pretty pumped up about this game because I think we

were lacking energy in these first few games,” senior defensive back Alex Merriman said. “I

think we really pushed the defense to really show some passion, show some emotion in this

game.”

Inexperience has been a storyline for Lafayette from the beginning of the season following a

large departure of starters with graduation. Injuries have also plagued the Leopards and have

forced an already young team to get younger. Missing players such as junior wide receiver Tim

Vangelas, sophomore defensive back Phil Parham, freshman defensive backs Kaizer Butler and

Jerry Powe has hampered the team—but they’ve been able look down the bench for more

players to step in.

“There is no exchange for game experience,” Tavani said. “But we keep throwing young kids out

there and they keep performing.”

Lafayette can’t rest on their newfound success as Fordham knocks on the Leopards’ door next

week. Containing the Rams’ offense will be a tough task as they average over 400 total yards

and 35.5 points per game.

“The league favorites are coming to town with a high powered and smart offense,” Tavani said.

The Leopards open Patriot League play against Fordham Saturday at home.