Student-led music festival “Zetefest” raised thousands for Third Street Alliance

The organizers of the “Zetefest” spoke to the joy of hosting an event after many were away for campus the past year because of the pandemic. (Photo by Tyler Makover ’22)

By Baris Yazici, Contributing Writer

The Lafayette chapter of the Zeta Psi fraternity organized a student-led music festival on Oct. 23 that raised $2,000 in support of Easton’s Third Street Alliance.

The fall-themed festival, or “Zetefest,” welcomed students, faculty and friends to support the Alliance, whose mission is to inspire and equip women, children and families to live, learn and thrive, according to their website. Among the Alliances’ programs are shelter services and early childhood education.

“Third Street Alliance is massively connected with our Easton community, and we wanted to work with them because of that reason. We thought they would benefit the most from this,” Sam Kirby ’22, the president of Zeta Psi, said.

“This event was about engaging with Lafayette but also Easton as well. We wanted to use it as a chance to give back and engage with the community around us more,” Vice President of Zeta Psi Tyler Makover ‘22 said.

Zetefest wasn’t only an event to raise money but also to build an inclusive, diverse community.

“We wanted to prove to the campus community that we can have an event that is inclusive and that people can feel comfortable in our space,” Kirby said.

According to Makover, the event, during which everyone came together and enjoyed live music, was especially enjoyable considering the effects of the pandemic.

“Bringing back what has been missing in the last two years to campus was very exciting,” Makover said.

Even though this was the first year of Zetefest happening, it will certainly not be the last. The board and members of Zeta Psi are aiming to establish a tradition for the years to come so that “when people think of October, they think of Zetefest, a welcoming environment that faculty, students, and citizens of Easton can come together and enjoy student performances while raising money for a great cause,” Kirby said.

“We do not want to be perceived as exclusive,” Kirby said. “We want to foster an environment that everybody on campus can come together and appreciate.”