Kyle Flanagan ’22 charged with DUI after deadly crash

Road+markings+show+the+path+of+the+vehicle+driven+by+Kyle+Flanagan+22+as+it+collided+with+a+tree.+%28Photo+by+Joe+Werkmeister+for+The+Suffolk+Times%29+
Road markings show the path of the vehicle driven by Kyle Flanagan ’22 as it collided with a tree. (Photo by Joe Werkmeister for The Suffolk Times)

Lafayette alum Kyle Flanagan ’22 has been arrested and charged with driving while under the influence after crashing his vehicle into a tree in Suffolk County, N.Y., killing one of his passengers and seriously injuring himself and another passenger, authorities said.

The single-car accident, which occurred in Peconic, N.Y. on Aug. 20, claimed the life of Brian Clinton, aged 22. Flanagan “was arrested and charged with DWI,” read a press release provided by the Southold Town Police Department, and further charges are to be determined by the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.

Also in the vehicle, a 2019 Ford Ranger, was Malcolm Pakola, who was transported to a local hospital. All three of the vehicle’s occupants played on the same high school football team.

Reportedly, the friends were driving to find a better place to view of the sunrise when the vehicle veered off the road and into a tree.

Flanagan graduated from Lafayette last May with a degree in mechanical engineering and a long-range plan to become a ranking officer in the U.S. Army, according to a Lafayette Today spotlight. Flanagan’s Reserve Officer Training Corps training allowed him to graduate as a second lieutenant. Flanagan was scheduled to attend flight school in Alabama with plans to become an aviation officer.

It is likely that Flanagan may face additional charges in connection with the accident. Suffolk County authorities said they are awaiting the results of drug and alcohol tests. If the tests come back positive, it is possible that Flanagan will face manslaughter charges related to the death of Clinton.

Flanagan did not respond to an emailed request for comment. It is not clear whether he has an attorney.

Maya Nylund ’23 contributed to reporting.