Small Business Spotlight: Easton Record Exchange will satisfy your vintage desires

The+Easton+Record+Exchange+emerged+from+its+next-door+neighbor%2C+the+pawn+shop+Easton+Exchange.+
Photo by Pierson White for The Lafayette
The Easton Record Exchange emerged from its next-door neighbor, the pawn shop Easton Exchange.

Jump out of 2022 and into the world of music history at the Easton Record Exchange. With shelves full of antiques, records, CDs and more, the store looks to scratch your itch for all things vintage.

Located downtown at 58 Centre Square Circle, right next to the pawn shop Easton Exchange, the Easton Record Exchange opened up about 10 years ago.

“We collected records, video games and comics. We wanted to start a collectible store,” Tom Patterson, who opened the store after working at the neighboring Easton Exchange for many years, said. 

While the store mainly focuses on records, Patterson made it clear that they are not the only thing featured. Among the many types of physical media that the store sells, there are also collectible comics and VHS movies.

“You can’t really survive on just selling records alone. You have to think about what shoppers are looking for,” Patterson said.

With the recent boom of interest in everything vintage, influenced by popular shows like “Stranger Things” being set in the ’80s and Instagram accounts bringing back the early 2000s aesthetic, wearing clothes and listening to music from the past has become cool again

For these reasons, Patterson has seen an overall increase in younger people shopping at the store.

“Younger people who weren’t exposed to certain kinds of music and styles were more interested all of a sudden. More people are looking to collect things now compared to when we started,” Patterson said.

With so many music options, it’s easy to forget that there’s a whole other side to the exchange besides records. In my own visits, I’ve been able to find more than a few records and singles to take home, but it’s easy to be tempted by “Die Hard” VHS sets or the array of comics in the store. 

I’ve walked out of the store with records from a wide variety of artists, such as The Doors, Foo Fighters and Kiss. If you are unsure of what records you want going into the store, you’ll be sure to find something you like by combing through the 99-cent bins. There is something for everyone at the Easton Record Exchange.

According to Patterson, running a small business comes with its challenges; however, he still loves what he’s doing. He hopes that Lafayette students will make it down to the store so he can meet new faces.

“I love music and getting to know new people,” Patterson said. 

While it may be more convenient to download your favorite album on streaming platforms or buy a game on your computer, the Easton Record Exchange provides a unique experience that cannot be replicated online.

To find out more information about the Easton Record Exchange, visit their Instagram, @eastonrecordexchange