Maddie’s Library: 2022 in Review

Two of Frederik Backman’s books made the list for best of the year. (Photo courtesy of AliExpress)

2022 was a great year for books — and for Maddie’s Library.

I’ve read 30 books (so far) this year. Here are my favorites, in no particular order:

True Biz” by Sara Nović
The story of a school for deaf students, “True Biz” features a remarkable mix of ASL education and compelling character arcs. I couldn’t recommend it more.

Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting” by Clare Pooley
When a train passenger chokes on a grape during a crowded morning commute, it sets off a chain reaction of events that brings a set of strangers together in Pooley’s heartwarming story.

“Anxious People” and “A Man Called Ove” by Frederik Backman
Every single word of Frederik Backman’s novels is downright brilliant. “Anxious People” tells the story of a group of hostages in an apartment viewing during a bank robbery gone wrong. “A Man Called Ove,” one of Backman’s first novels published back in 2012, follows a crotchety old man, Ove, and his neighbors who give him a new perspective on life.

Beautiful World, Where Are You” by Sally Rooney
In “Beautiful World,” Rooney tells the story of two friends and their partners grappling with everything from existential dread to unclear relationship statuses. Read it if you like to be reminded of our impending doom with a sprinkle of hope tossed in.

Book Lovers” by Emily Henry
As a self-professed Emily Henry stan, “Book Lovers” hits all the marks of the perfect literary rom-com: banter, chemistry and just enough tension to keep readers enticed.

“Seven Days in June” by Tia Williams
Here, Williams combines an examination of the literary world with a comment on socioeconomic issues and a hint of romance in the story of two Black writers who cross paths years after a whirlwind romance.

“The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A re-read of one of my favorite classics of all time, Fitzgerald provides a master class in prose construction through a tale of old money, infidelity and lots and lots of drama.

“The Vanishing Half” by Brit Bennett
Masterfully written, “The Vanishing Half” features two separated sisters: one who passes as a white woman in an upper-class California community, and one who stays in their Southern hometown.

“Dead Romantics” by Ashley Poston
Who could ask for more than a romance author, a sexy ghost and a nuanced exploration of grief? Certainly not this book reviewer.

My Winter Break Reading List:

“Lessons in Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus
The story of Elizabeth Zott, 1960s chemist turned cooking show host, promises to be the funny, unpredictable feminist novel of my dreams.

“Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow” by Gabrielle Zevin
What happens when Sam and Sadie, long time friends and crushes, create an uber-successful video game empire together? I’ll be reading “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow” to find out.

“The Fortunes of Jaded Women” by Carolyn Huynh
There’s nothing like a story about strong-willed women — let alone those who have been cursed.

“Jobs for Girls with Artistic Flair” by June Gervais
As someone who has recently made a foray into the world of tattoos, I’m looking forward to reading about Gina, a queer woman in the 1980s trying to break into the male-dominated world of tattoo artistry.

“The Authenticity Project” by Clare Pooley
Before there was “Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting,” there was “The Authenticity Project,” another story of strangers coming together when they need it most.

“Nora Goes Off Script” by Annabel Monaghan
Monaghan’s latest has all the makings of a classic Hollywood-style romance: a troubled movie star bachelor, the role of a lifetime and your everyday woman (in this case, a divorced mom of two) who catches his eye.

“Killers of a Certain Age” by Deanna Raybourn
As soon as I see the word “septuagenarian” in a book description, I am immediately going to pick it up and no one can stop me. And you’re telling me they’re assassins, too? Sign me up.

“The Violin Conspiracy” by Brendan Slocum
Once in a while, I like to indulge in a good old-fashioned whodunnit, and it’s an added bonus that this one takes place in the high-stakes world of classical music performance.

“If We Were Villains” by M.L. Rio
Another mystery, this time with Shakepearean actors. Told retrospectively as the possibly falsely-accused Oliver gets out of prison for the murder of one of his castmates, I’m looking forward to the blend of intrigue and drama.

“The Lost Ticket” by Freya Sampson
A story of serendipity is one of my favorite pick-me-ups, and that’s just what I expect from “The Lost Ticket,” the tale of Libby, a bus rider who tries to help Frank find his lost love after sixty years apart.