Small Business Spotlight: Easton Candle Company curates clean, unique fragrances

Photo by Pierson White for The Lafayette
Easton Candle Company is open downtown from Friday through Sunday.

Rachel Zander, owner and candlemaker of Easton Candle Company, lights up downtown with fragrant flames. 

As a one-woman show, Zander is the brain, eyes and nose behind the uniquely scented, homemade candles that occupy the storefront.

After being dissatisfied with the candles she saw in stores, which were often overly potent and sweet, Zander was motivated to take matters into her own hands and open a shop.

“I realized how toxic some of the big brand candles can be, so I wanted to make something that I wasn’t finding everywhere,” Zander said. 

In 2016, through a combination of trial and error, watching Youtube videos and doing research, Zander’s business started to blossom. By the fall of 2021, what started as a personal hobby for friends and family had expanded into a fully-developed online company through support from Easton locals. In 2022, she opened a physical store in the downtown area.

“I’ve always had that entrepreneurial spirit in me,” Zander said. “Even as a kid making bracelets or selling lemonade outside, I’ve always had that business sense and drive.”

Zander’s candles are made with 100% soy wax from soybeans that are grown in the United States. She uses cotton wicks and non-toxic fragrance oil, making her candles free from carcinogens and parabens. 

“You can breathe easy knowing that there’s nothing bad in my candles,” Zander said. 

The shop, which is open on weekends, consists of seasonal assortments that are rotated and replaced every few months. When the store is closed for business during the week, Zander spends time in her studio developing and experimenting with new candle creations for her next batch. 

Zander curates her upcoming collections by reflecting on scents that were previous hits and receiving customer feedback on social media polls. After thoroughly testing and tweaking the fragrances, a process that can take up to three weeks, Zander lands on a wide variety of scents. 

Each of the candles offered by Easton Candle Company is made by shop owner Rachel Zander. (Photo by Pierson White for The Lafayette)

“Usually I’ll have one floral [scent], one earthy scent, one citrus or fruity scent and then a masculine or clean fragrance so you can get a little bit of everything,” Zander said.

However, out of all the candles that she has made, Zander said that her favorite is one from her recent collection. The candle, named Rabbit’s Garden, was inspired by her pets Gunther and Olive. The scent, which is based on the rabbits’ favorite treats, has notes of basil, mint, clementine and chamomile.

“They’re my kids,” Zander said. “So I wanted something to honor them and have something very unique.”

Working by herself as the company’s only employee, Zander especially cherishes the interactions she has with customers, whether they are Easton regulars or those have just stepped foot in the store for the first time. 

“Being able to have the door open on weekends and connect with customers is really huge,” Zander said. 

Her appreciation for customers extends all the way to the name of the shop. The Easton Candle Company, according to Zander, pays homage to the sense of community and support she feels living in Easton. 

“I really believe in this town and what it stands for … I’m really proud of Easton,” Zander said. 

For Lafayette students, who are prohibited from having candles in dorms due to school policy, Zander sells flame-free scent spreaders such as wax melts and reed diffusers.

The Easton Candle Company is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday. More information can be found on their website, eastoncandleco.com, and their Instagram, @eastoncandleco.