Lafayette receives $40k for sexual violence prevention grant

The It’s On Us grant will fund sexual assault response trainings. (Graphic courtesy of Central Penn College)

Last month, the college was awarded a $40,000 It’s On Us PA grant for the fourth year in a row. Lafayette will earmark the funds for preventative and responsive measures related to sexual violence on campus. Lafayette is one of two colleges in the Lehigh Valley to receive the grant. 

“I think it’s important to continue the conversation around sexual assault and violence prevention/awareness because students need more support and education on campus,” Peer Anti-Violence Educator (PAVE) Nieve Kelly ’24 wrote in an email. “People come from all different backgrounds with various experiences and it is important to respect and support that while making this campus a safer place for everyone.”

The grant will be used to provide further training for staff on “evidence-based, trauma-informed” practices to improve the reporting and response systems in place on campus. It will also work with local agencies such as Turning Point of Lehigh Valley and the Crime Victims Council of the Lehigh Valley to focus on at-risk survivor populations, including those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQIA+ population. Additionally, students can expect workshops and other resources for sexual violence.

“I’m excited to see directed efforts at enhancing programming and support services for survivors,” women’s, gender and sexuality studies professor Dana Cuomo said. “Receiving this It’s On Us grant will help support the crucial work being done on our campus to address and prevent sexual assault.”