Simon’s Cafe replacement delayed

Students+on+the+west+side+of+campus+can+enjoy+the+food+trucks+offerings+until+Avenue-C+opens.++
Photo by Patrick Hansell for The Lafayette
Students on the west side of campus can enjoy the food truck’s offerings until Avenue-C opens.

Avenue-C, a 24-hour self-checkout market meant to replace Simon’s Cafe in the basement of Kamine Hall, remains under construction despite a projected opening in January. In the interim, a food truck will be parked outside of Avenue-C’s closed doors.

“We are working diligently with our partners to ensure the necessary components are in place for the market to open prior to [the] fall semester,” general manager of Dining Services Christopher Brown wrote in an email. 

Grace Voss ‘26, a resident of Kamine, said the continued absence of nearby dining options is an inconvenience. 

“What really upsets me the most about living in Kamine with the dining hall locations is getting breakfast,” Voss said. “It’s very difficult to grab a quick breakfast before classes … Especially in the cold weather, not having a dining option down there makes it rough.”

Brown wrote that the main causes behind the delay are “ongoing construction and supply chain issues.” For students on the west side of campus, the Pard Provisions food truck will be stationed outside of Kamine until April as a substitute for a dining location, according to Brown.

The food truck accepts cash, credit, debit and meal swipes. 

“I was super excited to see that the food truck was coming to Kamine and that area of campus,” Voss said. “It’s super convenient to just be able to go out there [and grab dinner].”

The opening day for the food truck was this past Tuesday. 

“[The tacos] were delicious,” Evan Pauser ‘26 said of the food truck’s fare. “I think it’s a good idea … I’m lowkey impressed.”

The food truck will be open for the rest of the month on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. During March, it will be open at the same times on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. April dates are yet to be announced.